• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Pro's and Con's to Rooting Epic

What would be the advantages and disadvantages to rooting my phone? And do u suggest I do it? My only concern is my warranty? is there a way to unroot if I want to replace my phone?

The only disadvantage is the slight possability of bricking your phone. A true bricked phone is very rare, if you can get into download mode (hold 1 then hold power) you can get back to stock)

Watch the videos and read, read, read...

I would also suggest downloading odin and making sure your computer can connect in debugging mode and download mode. AFTER you have read and know a bit more.

To sum up totally with it.

Upvote 0
The only disadvantage is the slight possability of bricking your phone. A true bricked phone is very rare, if you can get into download mode (hold 1 then hold power) you can get back to stock)

Watch the videos and read, read, read...

I would also suggest downloading odin and making sure your computer can connect in debugging mode and download mode. AFTER you have read and know a bit more.

To sum up totally with it.

This poster is correct.

Here is a post that explains what you can do with root: http://androidforums.com/2423687-post4.html

Also qbking77/Tschofield7 has made some awesome videos for how to: http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-al...-here-help-your-epic-25-videos-5-17-11-a.html

In his videos he shows step by step how to root, flash custom ROMs, make nandroid backups, and many other topics. Read everything you can in the root thread and watch his videos... they're very good.

Yes there is a way to "unroot" (there's a video on how to do that above) and go back to complete factory stock just like the phone comes. Program for that is called Odin.

I have my phone rooted, and am running a custom ROM... it made my phone a lot faster, more efficient, and improved battery life. I def recommend looking into it and getting all the facts, and decide if its right for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones