1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Prospective Atrix owner with some questions about the state of the device

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ForSpareParts, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ForSpareParts

ForSpareParts Lurker
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    (CAUTION: NOOB ALERT. THE FOLLOWING POST MAY CONTAIN DANGEROUS LEVELS OF NOOB.)

Hey guys. I just found out I'm upgrade-eligible, I've decided to go Android (from an iPhone 3GS), and I want a nice, powerful device. I was looking at the Atrix, but reading about the locked bootloader made me a bit nervous -- customizability was one of the things I wanted in a new phone. I've seen the thread on the 2nd-init exploit, and I heard someone in some thread (maybe that one?) make mention of a promise by Motorola to open up their handsets. So, a couple questions:

1. As I understand it, 2nd-init allows custom ROMs, but NOT custom kernels. Is this correct?

2. If so, what do I miss out on by NOT having the ability to use custom kernels?

3. What are your impressions of the prospects for the device in the future?

I'd also be interested in knowing whether, in general, you're happy with your Atrixes (Atrixi?), especially if you consider yourself a poweruser. I'd like to join your ranks, you see ; )

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Advertisement

2. ultradroid

ultradroid So many android phones...
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    Title Insurance Underwriter
    Cleveland, Ohio - the North Coast!
    I am not a tech expert, but I think the future of the Atrix is fabulous. Once the developers get rolling, we should have numerous custom roms, just like the Droid X. The release of the Gingerbread OTA update is problematic IMHO, because while it does bring full Gingerbread and sideloading to the device, indications are that it will unroot phones which are now rooted and may prevent re-rooting by closing the loophole in the locked bootloader which was exploited to achieve root up to now. My advice to those who are currently rooted is to take a "wait and see" approach to the upcoming OTA Gingerbread release.

-Mike

3. ForSpareParts

ForSpareParts Lurker
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I broke down and bought one this evening, and I'm liking it a lot so far. About to do my first mod stuff, and I'm very excited! I'll take your advice and wait on the OTA Gingerbread update until I know how it'll affect mods and rooting.