• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Prospective LG Optimus T Buyer (T-Mobile)

Rayk1080

Lurker
Aug 30, 2011
Hi, all!

I'm coming from AT&T, my contract is up and I'm switching to T-Mobile on a family unlimited talk-text plan. I most definitely will not have data. I'm considering this LG Optimus T very much; it's got fantastic reviews, Wi-Fi, and is free because of the promo!

I really just wanted a durable phone with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and decent messaging capabilities. Any cons to speak of? If so, in light of my data plight, above criteria, and T-Mobile(ness), any better options?

Also, what do rooting and overclocking your phone do? Cons? Can this phone handle it?

Lastly, (sorry about all the questions), I have a specific question about the "lock" feature on the phone.

Thanks in advance!

It's a great phone. I use mine without mobile data, syncing and updating on wifi.

Cons: no Flash. CPU is adequate but not up to gaming.

Rooting and overclocking are different concepts and beyond the scope of my answer. I will post links to google searches on what is rooting and what is overclocking.

If you asked a question about locking I was unable to find it. I will assume you mean the security lockscreen rather than SIM or subsidy locks because I am feeling particularly clairvoyant tonight.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for responding, you two!

Fratermus: Your links were really helpful, as was your post generally, thanks! As to the "lock" thing, I poked around for like an hour all over the Optimus T section and eventually saw people referencing locking the phone with a passkey; lol, yes I did, in fact mean locking the device with no correlation to carriers and retail. Impressive foresight :D

trav2001: Thanks so much for the insight, I really do appreciate it. :)

I do have a few more questions, though. Sorry if it's a bother. If either, one, or both of you could answer them that'd be great, thanks:

1) Do you recommend Rooting & Overclocking the Optimus T?
2) How will not having flash affect web browsing? (Will it be ridiculously frustrating without flash?)
3)
CPU is adequate but not up to gaming.
Does this mean that games are gonna be frustrating as well and unplayable/disliked?

Thanks so very much! :D

Upvote 0
trav2001: Thanks so much for the insight, I really do appreciate it. :)

No problem!

I do have a few more questions, though. Sorry if it's a bother. If either, one, or both of you could answer them that'd be great, thanks:

2) How will not having flash affect web browsing? (Will it be ridiculously frustrating without flash?)
3) Does this mean that games are gonna be frustrating as well and unplayable/disliked?

Thanks so very much! :D
1) I've not done either one myself because I like the stock android setup.
2) All depends on what you browse. I myself rarely ever see any problems with it. There are a few sites that I go to that use flash, so I'll just read things instead of watch the video's. No biggie for me.
3) Games also depend on what you want to play. If you playing Angry Birds it will do fine for the most part, but will get laggy at times. Most other games I've played are ok, but again lag at times. I don't play the games often enough to really worry about it tho.

Reactions: Rayk1080
Upvote 0
3) Does this mean that games are gonna be frustrating as well and unplayable/disliked?

1. Rooting, yes, if you feel comfortable with it. Will allow you to remove some of the crapware, load other recoveries/ROMs, and use SetCPU to over/underclock. I don't overclock though many do. Removing crapware and underclocking with an onDemand profile can greatly extend battery life with no perceptible performance hit.

2. I don't miss flash. It's generally misused on the net anyhow (st00pid splash screens and useless crap like that), and if you want videos you can use the built-in youtube app that works fine.

3. just not enough cpu horsepower for serious gamers to be happy. But then again real gamers would have bought a faster/$$$ phone anyway. I use mine as a workhorse and not as an entertainment system.

Reactions: Rayk1080
Upvote 0
I thank you both! Looks like I'm getting this thing.

I'm only gonna root/overclock if I feel that the lag is too inhibiting. Plus, the allure of a better battery is desirable in all Androids.

I did look forward to games and apps (while not a "serious gamer,") but if they're gonna be slower, I suppose I'll deal with it, lol.

Flash: *shrug*

You 2 have helped indescribably. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
For a low end Android phone, the Optimus is great. I use it everyday and put it to the test. I'm in it constantly with phone calls for my job, I get constant texts & emails throughout the day and it's never given me any problems.

Must of the stuff I read says this phone is mid-range. It does some things that higher-end phones do. I'm real happy with it. Fast, no problems (in 5 months). I just couldn't imagine not having a data plan.

Upvote 0
Must of the stuff I read says this phone is mid-range. It does some things that higher-end phones do. I'm real happy with it. Fast, no problems (in 5 months). I just couldn't imagine not having a data plan.

I'm with you. I do so much with email through out my day, like taking pics for my job and emailing them to my boss or vendors, that I would just be taking a huge step back with not having a data plan/smartphone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones