• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

protection plan question

ALFGold

Lurker
Oct 3, 2009
After poking around at Best Buy and Sprint, found out they both offer protection plan.

While Sprint covers everything for $8/mo, Best Buy charges $9/mo without including theft or loss.

I do prefer the instant rebate by Best Buy over Sprint's mail-in rebate. But I also hate dropping the phone and cracking the screen and make it useless.

What do you guys think.
And do you guys prefer a plan with theft protection also?

I buy BestBuy service plans regularly, but in this case the Sprint Total Equipment Protection plan ($7 per month) looks like a better option. Here's a link to the Sprint web page with the info on the plan:

http://www.nextel.com/en/services/service_repair/phone_protection_services.shtml?id16=services_phonerepairprotect_phoneprotectionsol_hub

The downside with the Sprint plan is that there is a $50/$100 deductible (I'm not yet sure which amount applies in this case.)

BestBuy's option (Geek Squad Black Tie Protection) does cover a battery replacement and has no deductible, but the repair (or possible replacement) is likely to take 3-4 weeks and you may need to put down a $150 deposit on a loaner. Now, you can supply your own old Sprint phone if you have one, but it's still be nearly a month before you'd get your Hero back.

I'm not too impressed with the battery replacement. Replacement batteries are pretty cheap on eBay.

Now, I would also only pay for the plan for the first 12 months. At that point you'll be eligible for either $75 or $150 towards a new phone. So during the second year, if I do in fact need to replace the phone, I'd just do it by buying a new phone with my upgrade credit.

If you have an old phone and don't mind the 3-4 week wait for service and you expect to take advantage of the battery replacement, then not having to worry about a deductible may make the BestBuy plan a better option.

The theft/water damage coverage of the Total Equipment Protection even with the deductible, makes it the plan for me.

Upvote 0
Personally I don't really like either plan.. If I had to choose one I'd stick with BB for my cellular insurance. I'm not going to correct everything in the previous posts but I suggest you both do further research before making a decision. In short the BB plan has no deductible but takes an estimated 2 weeks for turnaround. Now Sprint TEP has a new $100 deductible for any phone worth owning however turnaround time will be much quicker.

I currently have a TP and plan on taking it into BB when the TP2 becomes available. I still have an old Samsung A900 so I'll be patiently be patiently waiting to see if I get a TP2 as a replacement or a repaired TP. Either way I'll be happy and will end up with either a TP2 or a HERO. ;)

Upvote 0
After poking around at Best Buy and Sprint, found out they both offer protection plan.

While Sprint covers everything for $8/mo, Best Buy charges $9/mo without including theft or loss.

I do prefer the instant rebate by Best Buy over Sprint's mail-in rebate. But I also hate dropping the phone and cracking the screen and make it useless.

What do you guys think.
And do you guys prefer a plan with theft protection also?

TEP from sprint is 7 a month not 8

oh and the deductible will be 100

Upvote 0
I can tell you Sprint's TEP has saved my butt several times. Also the ability to take into a local store that does repairs is great, you either walk out with either a new phone or a refurb depending on what they have in stock and your attitude. Bad attitude = having to wait for a refurb to be sent.

I got my Tour because of problems with my Curve. After the 4th bad refurb Sprint sent to the local repair center, dude there saw all my problems and gave me a new Tour.

Upvote 0
I can tell you Sprint's TEP has saved my butt several times. Also the ability to take into a local store that does repairs is great, you either walk out with either a new phone or a refurb depending on what they have in stock and your attitude. Bad attitude = having to wait for a refurb to be sent.

I got my Tour because of problems with my Curve. After the 4th bad refurb Sprint sent to the local repair center, dude there saw all my problems and gave me a new Tour.

My Razr (yes, I know its a POS, dont laugh) last year started acting a bit on the wierd side. I first noticed it when I was trying to send a text out. It was as if the keypad had slipped or something of that nature. Well that, and it did try calling a few people on its own.

Took it to a Sprint repair center they took a look at it and walked out with a new phone. All they asked me was if I had insurance. Didnt cost me a thing, other than the standard monthly fees of course.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones