1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

protection plan question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ALFGold, Oct 5, 2009.

1. ALFGold

ALFGold New Member

Oct 3, 2009
    After poking around at Best Buy and Sprint, found out they both offer protection plan.

While Sprint covers everything for $8/mo, Best Buy charges $9/mo without including theft or loss.

I do prefer the instant rebate by Best Buy over Sprint's mail-in rebate. But I also hate dropping the phone and cracking the screen and make it useless.

What do you guys think.
    And do you guys prefer a plan with theft protection also?

Advertisement

2. Bernal

Bernal Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I buy BestBuy service plans regularly, but in this case the Sprint Total Equipment Protection plan ($7 per month) looks like a better option. Here's a link to the Sprint web page with the info on the plan:

http://www.nextel.com/en/services/service_repair/phone_protection_services.shtml?id16=services_phonerepairprotect_phoneprotectionsol_hub

The downside with the Sprint plan is that there is a $50/$100 deductible (I'm not yet sure which amount applies in this case.)

BestBuy's option (Geek Squad Black Tie Protection) does cover a battery replacement and has no deductible, but the repair (or possible replacement) is likely to take 3-4 weeks and you may need to put down a $150 deposit on a loaner. Now, you can supply your own old Sprint phone if you have one, but it's still be nearly a month before you'd get your Hero back.

I'm not too impressed with the battery replacement. Replacement batteries are pretty cheap on eBay.

Now, I would also only pay for the plan for the first 12 months. At that point you'll be eligible for either $75 or $150 towards a new phone. So during the second year, if I do in fact need to replace the phone, I'd just do it by buying a new phone with my upgrade credit.

If you have an old phone and don't mind the 3-4 week wait for service and you expect to take advantage of the battery replacement, then not having to worry about a deductible may make the BestBuy plan a better option.

The theft/water damage coverage of the Total Equipment Protection even with the deductible, makes it the plan for me.

3. nekon

nekon New Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Personally I don't really like either plan.. If I had to choose one I'd stick with BB for my cellular insurance. I'm not going to correct everything in the previous posts but I suggest you both do further research before making a decision. In short the BB plan has no deductible but takes an estimated 2 weeks for turnaround. Now Sprint TEP has a new $100 deductible for any phone worth owning however turnaround time will be much quicker.

I currently have a TP and plan on taking it into BB when the TP2 becomes available. I still have an old Samsung A900 so I'll be patiently be patiently waiting to see if I get a TP2 as a replacement or a repaired TP. Either way I'll be happy and will end up with either a TP2 or a HERO. ;)

4. ChrisPlague

ChrisPlague Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    California

TEP from sprint is 7 a month not 8

oh and the deductible will be 100

5. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

i've got a question

if you buy it at BB, can you get the biggest-baddest insurance plan at sprint??

6. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Data Tech
    Chicago, IL
    Im buying mine from BB and plan on using TEP from Sprint. I know of several Sprint stores I could go to to have my phone fixed if it ever broke.

Nekon I could never be without a phone for 2 weeks.

7. ChrisPlague

ChrisPlague Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    California
    You have up to 30 days to add insurance on a new device.

8. TattierPub

TattierPub Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    EMS Worker/Nursing Student
    Dana Point, CA
    I can tell you Sprint's TEP has saved my butt several times. Also the ability to take into a local store that does repairs is great, you either walk out with either a new phone or a refurb depending on what they have in stock and your attitude. Bad attitude = having to wait for a refurb to be sent.

I got my Tour because of problems with my Curve. After the 4th bad refurb Sprint sent to the local repair center, dude there saw all my problems and gave me a new Tour.

9. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

oh yeah

i'm probably on my fourth 755p right now (i don't even bother to try to count) - and i've probably used the insurance service eight times total since i've been with sprint

i've never "not had" insurance

10. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Data Tech
    Chicago, IL
    My Razr (yes, I know its a POS, dont laugh) last year started acting a bit on the wierd side. I first noticed it when I was trying to send a text out. It was as if the keypad had slipped or something of that nature. Well that, and it did try calling a few people on its own.

Took it to a Sprint repair center they took a look at it and walked out with a new phone. All they asked me was if I had insurance. Didnt cost me a thing, other than the standard monthly fees of course.

11. Namek

Namek Member

Sep 9, 2009
    LA
    Get the Sprint insurance. It saved my GF several times. If they can't fix it they'll either hand you a replacement or if its not in stock they'll order a replacement. The only time you need to pay a deductible is for water damage, physical damage, cracked screen, lost etc...

Tags: