1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Proud new owner of Thunderbolt!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by adnap, Nov 5, 2011.

1. adnap

adnap Lurker
    None

Nov 5, 2011
    Phlebotomist/Lab Support
    South Dakota
    Finally got tired of my LG Vortex giving me the run around(first smartphone). Loving the bigger screen already!

Looking for some tips for battery life extension and also how to turn off the annoying sound I get when I unlock and Im at the home screen...

Also any Apps recommended? I wasnt really big on the apps with the Vorcrap but now Im incorporating this phone into my daily and work(in a lab) life!

Many thanks and excited to start on this forum :)

Advertisement

Rico ANDROID likes this.
  2. Rico ANDROID

Rico ANDROID Android Expert

Mar 10, 2011
    Streaker By Birff
    In Cell Phone SIMetery
    WELCOME!!! androidian unit : A D N A P ... The Federation has been expecting your arrival!!! You will really enjoy ANDROIDFORUMS.COM! i know it

ANDROIDS ROOL!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

adnap likes this.
  3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Congrats! Did you buy it on contract or used? I just picked one up for my girlfriend after she denied for months that she was envying my bolt. "Ohhh it's too big blah blah". Come on girl. You like big things

I can't give you too many power saving tips as i usually just use it how i want and pop in a spare charged battery when i feel like it, but check out the powersave options when you go to settings>power.

Some apps i'd strongly suggest:

Battery notifier: keeps you up to date on what's going on with your battery with the percentage in your notification bar (optional) and a chime that lets you know when you're phone is done charging

golauncher: This is the one app that has grown exponentially since a couple months ago. It seems to have surpassed launcher pro as far as word of mouth and popularity and it will make your phone feel like it's yours. Everything is customizable and you get options using this launcher that sense doesn't give you. Themes, ability to delete apps from the app drawer, swipe transitions

golauncher everything else: the people at go also have a crapload of other widgets you can use too like facebook, twitter and even a skinable keyboard.

widgetlocker: will let you customize your lockscreen the way you want it. They have alot of new sliders too. You can use the ice cream sandwich slider or even what i use, the htc sense 3.0 slider. Love it

Enjoy your phone

Rico ANDROID likes this.
  4. adnap

adnap Lurker
    None

Nov 5, 2011
    Phlebotomist/Lab Support
    South Dakota
    Got it on contract with my update from BB for 100.

Any idea of how to get the sound off when I unlock the screen?

5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    That's a good deal
    And go to settings>sound and then scroll down to "screen unlock sounds ". That should do it

6. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    what they said :)

7. Pred-a-tor

Pred-a-tor Member
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Welcome to the Thunderbolt! Lots of good people on this site who can help with just about anything you run into on your journey. Good luck and have fun with it!

8. putz

putz Member
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    congrats and welcome to the world of HTC :)

First off, the most important app (& battery saver) is called "juice defender". the basic one is free & saves battery life.

Another battery saver tip, every once a month let your battery die out completely. Use it down till you have 1% then let it die on it's own.

Another few useful apps are, Linda Manager, I have no idea why android phones dont come with this pre-loaded. It gives you easy access to your SD card files.

LTE on/off, this turns off 4G & lets you use 3G, because Verizon doesn't include an on/off switch for their LTE phones so you can get it in the market.
    Select "CDMA auto (PRL)" for 3G & "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto" for 4G.

Funny Jokes, this app has the best jokes. This is a must have if you need a good laugh.

and of course, all the Angry bird's games.

Hope this helps you! if you need anything, I will do my best to help you!

9. tensazan

tensazan Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    Indiana
    The GB update brought a menu option to toggle 4g on and off. Though it wouldn't hurt to have the app.