• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Proximity or light sensor causing signal to drop during calls

Trism

Lurker
Sep 23, 2011
Hi all, I've searched high and low for someone else experiencing this issue and I can't find anything so I hope someone might be able to help here.

I'm using a HTC Desire rooted to Gingerbread and for the past week or so I've had problem making and receiving calls on the device. I can dial a number no problem but as soon as I raise the phone to my ear the phone will make a beeping noise and the signal will immediate drop to zero with an X next to it to say it has no signal, the screen will then go back to the dial screen. If I redial immediately then it will jump back into the call I tried to make, however if I end the call the phone will keep ringing on the other end (I've tried it on my home phone).
If I make the call and immediately switch to speaker then I can make the call no problem. I've experimented with covering the proximity/light sensor during a speaker call and it drops out like I mentioned before.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I've had a look for an app that might turn off the sensors but I can't find anything :(

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones