1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Proximity sensor issue / LCD screen is loose

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by capnblubs, Sep 25, 2014.

1. capnblubs

capnblubs Lurker

Hello. I have a white Verizon LG G2. Previously, I had a black one which needed repairs, and the company I chose to do the repairs had no idea what they were doing. They ultimately admitted that to me and replaced it with my current, refurbished white version.

The issues that have arisen:
    1) When I place calls, the screen goes dark and stays dark until the other person ends the call.
    2) When I try to "knock on" or wake up using the main button on the back, it often either doesn't work at all, or goes dark too quickly for me to enter my pattern code.

Side note: I have never dropped the phone or damaged it in any way, and there are no cracks on the screen.

From my experiences with my previous G2, I already know this basically has to be a proximity sensor issue. However, I'm not sure if it's simply a matter of that happening on its own, or if it has something to do with one of the following things:

- the LCD screen seems "loose" or at least isn't sitting flush on the left side. You can see a very slight amount of light. Pressing down very gently will align everything properly, and it even seems to help the sensor issues.
    - last night, I installed an update, and the problem began right after that. Maybe coincidence, but I wonder if it is at all related, because it literally started directly after that update.

My main questions are:
    1) What do you think is the reason for the problems?
    2) Do you think fixing the screen alone would solve things - namely, making it flush with the bezel on the left side? Would installing a tight case be a sufficient fix?
    3) Assuming that the proximity sensor and/or the screen need to be repaired, what is the best way to do this? Do you recommend sending it to LG themselves?

Any other comments or advice are certainly welcome, too. Thank you so much for reading my thread.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. acejavelin

acejavelin Android Expert

I have seen several people complain of proximity sensor issues after taking the 25B/26A OTA update... Try a factory reset first, it often clears the issue.

capnblubs likes this.
  3. capnblubs

capnblubs Lurker

Thanks for your reply! You're awesome.

I have already noticed that it's working somewhat better than last night. But only with regard to "waking up" the phone.

I just placed a couple test-calls to my voice mail and it is still having the "perma-dark" problem, and both times I was able to light up the screen (allowing me to end the call) by pressing very lightly on the left side of the LCD where it's not flush.

So I have a little reason for hope (that it's just the update)...but also plenty of reason to be pessimistic about necessary repairs.

I will probably give it a day or so, see how things go, then re-set if necessary, give it another day or so, and I will post again if I find any useful new information.

Have you had anything repaired by LG? My previous phone (a Stratosphere) had a broken LCD and Samsung repaired it for $120. I was pretty happy with that, all things considered. I'm just wondering how much I should expect to pay for LCD and/or sensor repairs if they are needed.

4. acejavelin

acejavelin Android Expert

I have no idea.. My G2 is supplied by my company and has Asurion insurance, any problems we have just get us a replacement device.

5. capnblubs

capnblubs Lurker

Is there any way I can get this moved to the general G2 subforum? I wasn't reading carefully when I put this in here with the rooting stuff. I was just looking for Verizon thinking I needed to be specific to brand for my thread.

codesplice likes this.
  6. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Done. :)

In the future, feel free to slap that /!\ Report button if you need to bring something to a mod's attention - whether it's spam, an abusive post, or even just something that needs to be moved. :thumbup:

bberryhill0 likes this.

LG G2 Forum

The LG G2 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews