• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Proximity sensor issue?

I'm new to the forum and android phones. Great info on here folks. I returned my 1st LG Optimus Dynamic after 2 weeks because the screen went dark on all outgoing calls & wouldn't return until the other party hung up. Got a 2nd phone two days ago that did the same thing out of the box. Realized that the only time it worked was in bright sunlight. Talked to an LG rep who told me to return it. Found this thread while researching it online. Read the directions for the phone and found that the camera has a light sensor. Wondered if the light sensor and prox sensor were the same. I went into the camera app and clicked the settings icon in top left corner. The light sensor is ISO. Changed it from AUTO to 400, which is the most sensitive position. Phone now works flawlessly. I wave my hand across the screen during a call and it turns off and back on within a few seconds. I'm now thinking prox and camera light sensor are one and the same. Kind of an accidental find but I hope it can help some others out there.

Upvote 0
Hi. I found this thread because, guess what? My Optimus Elite has the exact same problem (by the sound of it). I was talking on the phone, screen went black, and I could not for the life of me restore the screen. I had to actually open the back and take the battery out to hang up. By acting like a monkey and fiddling around with menu->settings->proximity sensor I turned the proximity sensor off, thinking that may have something to do with it (of course, I had to Google "proximity sensor" to find out what it was).

I now have the proximity sensor off, turn on "speaker", and hold the phone away from me. I think it works. Not the best setup, but I need to be able to press keypad numbers and be able to hang up when I'm calling someone.

Upvote 0
I'm new to the forum and android phones. Great info on here folks. I returned my 1st LG Optimus Dynamic after 2 weeks because the screen went dark on all outgoing calls & wouldn't return until the other party hung up. Got a 2nd phone two days ago that did the same thing out of the box. Realized that the only time it worked was in bright sunlight. Talked to an LG rep who told me to return it. Found this thread while researching it online. Read the directions for the phone and found that the camera has a light sensor. Wondered if the light sensor and prox sensor were the same. I went into the camera app and clicked the settings icon in top left corner. The light sensor is ISO. Changed it from AUTO to 400, which is the most sensitive position. Phone now works flawlessly. I wave my hand across the screen during a call and it turns off and back on within a few seconds. I'm now thinking prox and camera light sensor are one and the same. Kind of an accidental find but I hope it can help some others out there.
Thx mxmudman:

I just tried this, got to camera->settings->ISO=800. Then called my Skype number to test, and it looks like this solution works. Of course, I'll have to remember to reset my ISO to a lower number when I'm taking pictures outdoors in the day time.

Upvote 0
Glad to see this thread, but unfortunately, none of the suggestions are working on my LG L38C. I have asked for help in the Net10 support forums endlessly, and have received equally endless runarounds from their "techs" - and I use that term *very* loosely. None of them ever get past the point of asking for my S/N and phone number - then they disappear off the face of the earth. I have tried cleaning my screen, changing the camera settings and there *is* no option to do anything with the proximity sensor in any of the settings on this phone. I'm ready to throw it out the window at this point. I use this phone for both personal and business purposes, and as of now, the only thing it is good for is checking my emails.

Upvote 0
Ok, feeling kind of dumb here, but has anyone ever considered that the screen protector you've put on your phone may be the issue with the proximity sensor?

I've been irritated at my phone for months, gone to the manufacturer, carrier and here (as well as other forums) for help, and this was never even suggested. I never thought it would be the problem - but it was. I removed the screen protector, and - voila! - proximity sensor now works as it should. I never connected the application of the screen protector with the malfunction of the sensor until tonight. Not sure why, but very glad it finally came to me. I just assumed (as I'm sure many would) that the screen protector wouldn't interfere with the sensor - wrong. It does.

Before attempting to fix anything - go for the simplest idea first. You just might be right.

Upvote 0
To test and eventually to calibrate the proximity sensor, you can use hidden menu (dial 3845#*880#) -> Device Test -> All Auto Test Menu Full -> ALC / Proximity Test.
You can even test the "auto brightness mode" (to test also the light sensor) and "enable proximity wakeLock" (to simulate a call).
To test the sensor just put a finger near the sensor.
There is also a "Calibration" feature to calibrate the sensor if needed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones