• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Proximity sensors gone wild!

pastafarian

Pâtes avec votre foie
Nov 4, 2009
The Sea of Tranquility
My Moments (de03) proximity sensor stuck on last night. If the phone was asleep, passing a finger in front of the sensor turned the screen on. If you were using the phone and passed a finger in front of the sensor, the screen would lock. I've never seen this happen before de03, a reboot cleared it up. Anyone else notice this? Or is it just a one off thing?

I had (have?) this problem as well... have had it since I got the phone though (back in Nov.). I noticed that when I had the phone out on a table while studying in the library, any time someone would walk past, the phone would suddenly wake up then go right back to sleep, if a group would pass, it would start flashing crazily. Has never really bothered me though.

Upvote 0
My Moments (de03) proximity sensor stuck on last night. If the phone was asleep, passing a finger in front of the sensor turned the screen on. If you were using the phone and passed a finger in front of the sensor, the screen would lock. I've never seen this happen before de03, a reboot cleared it up. Anyone else notice this? Or is it just a one off thing?

I've just recently figured out this was causing my phone's gremlins. I couldn't figure out why the phone would just go to sleep while in use and lock up. Sure enough, passing my finger, even for a slight second, over the sensor shuts the screen down and locks it....horrible. IMO proximity sensor should only dim the screen when making calls/listening to voicemail. Samsung is just too lazy to program this properly. Even in 2.1, mega bugs galore, and no multi-touch. This is my last Samsung ever, I can't wait to get an HTC on June 4th.

Upvote 0
I've just recently figured out this was causing my phone's gremlins. I couldn't figure out why the phone would just go to sleep while in use and lock up. Sure enough, passing my finger, even for a slight second, over the sensor shuts the screen down and locks it....horrible. IMO proximity sensor should only dim the screen when making calls/listening to voicemail. Samsung is just too lazy to program this properly. Even in 2.1, mega bugs galore, and no multi-touch. This is my last Samsung ever, I can't wait to get an HTC on June 4th.

A simple reboot cleared it up and it hasn't returned.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones