• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PSA Sneak Peek for Android "L" is out!!!!

this is semi applicable to this thread and I also figure the most technically savvy eyes will also be here too.

Question: Is there a difference between a factory reset (with automatic restore turned on) and flashing a stock image of the same flavor (with automatic restore turned on)? By difference I mean will there be any app or data differences?
A factory reset will only wipe your data partition.

A factory image will wipe and reinstall every partition

Reactions: rhray
Upvote 0
Just curious if anyone has been successful with getting LED notifications to work natively on Android L?.
I have no LED notifications at all... Not while charging or when I miss a call or text, etc... I have the Pulse notification in settings turned on but it doesn't seem to do the trick.
I ended up installing Light Flow and it seems to be working OK so far.

Upvote 0
I started getting a constant reboot on my N5. It would power on and stay on for about 10 seconds and then it would just power down, like a soft reboot... just to the bootanimation.
So I booted into Safe Mode and everything ran fine and there were no reboots.
I narrowed down the culprit to being the Light Flow app. Uninstalled it and everything is fine again and no reboots.
I ended up downloading Light Manager from the playstore and haven't had any problems with is causing issues or reboots.

Upvote 0
I started getting a constant reboot on my N5. It would power on and stay on for about 10 seconds and then it would just power down, like a soft reboot... just to the bootanimation.
I narrowed down the culprit to being the Light Flow app. Uninstalled it and everything is fine again and no reboots.
I ended up downloading Light Manager from the playstore and haven't had any problems with is causing issues or reboots.

Light Flow appears to only have issues is you have your Slide as your unlock; if you change your unlock to pattern, none, PIN, etc. then you should no longer have that issue.

Interesting that Light Manager isn't having the same issues.

Upvote 0

My phone was rebooting but my issue was hangouts. I got a SMS and then it rebooted, once it came back up I got the message again, then again and again.

I was able to catch it before the next reboot and force stop hangouts. That seems to have fixed the issue.

I haven't ran into any issue with Light Flow, I just uninstalled it though since you have had issues.

Upvote 0
My phone was rebooting but my issue was hangouts. I got a SMS and then it rebooted, once it came back up I got the message again, then again and again.

I was able to catch it before the next reboot and force stop hangouts. That seems to have fixed the issue.

I haven't ran into any issue with Light Flow, I just uninstalled it though since you have had issues.

Yeah I've heard of hangout issues not sending MMS and also crashin... I read that a few users fixed the issue by going into hangout settings and unlinking.

I knew light flow was going to be an issue from the start. Immediately after installing it, I rebooted for the changes to take affect and I got stuck in a boot loop. Wiped cache etc... and it was fine afterwards. Then. All the sudden yesterday I experienced the problem above. Since installing life manager everything has been fine... Go figure!

Upvote 0
It'll be interesting to see if they push out an OTA update to L sometime before the final release to give devs a better look at what it'll actually be like

They have stated that there will be updates. I'm guessing, if nothing else, they also want to use the Developer's as beta testers to help catch various bugs.

As for the updates, the question does seem to be how they will be made available; from their comment on their website, it almost makes it sound like you will need to flash your phone: "Updates to the L Developer Preview are delivered in the Android SDK Manager. Check back periodically for news about the changes."

Upvote 0
Is it? I thought the install script wipes user data. It took me awhile to get everything backed up in preparation for that, but a flashable zip became available so I didn't actually use fastboot to know for sure.

You can pull the boot, system, bootloader, and radio .img's out of it and flash them one by one manually (by extracting with something like 7zip or winzip).

Doing so preserves data because userdata.img doesnt get flashed

Upvote 0
You can pull the boot, system, bootloader, and radio .img's out of it and flash them one by one manually (by extracting with something like 7zip or winzip).

Doing so preserves data because userdata.img doesnt get flashed

Exactly. Sometimes there's a cache.img as well, so it doesn't hurt to flash that as well if necessary.

Upvote 0
Exactly. Sometimes there's a cache.img as well, so it doesn't hurt to flash that as well if necessary.

I usually skip that, as I perform a factory reset from TWRP before fastboot flashing - which wipes dalvik cache and cache. The ROM ends up building it on first boot anyway :dontknow:

I suppose I would run into issues if the factory image were to resize the partitions for some reason, but we'd have issues in that scenario without flashing userdata as well.

Upvote 0
I usually skip that, as I perform a factory reset from TWRP before fastboot flashing - which wipes dalvik cache and cache. The ROM ends up building it on first boot anyway :dontknow:

I suppose I would run into issues if the factory image were to resize the partitions for some reason, but we'd have issues in that scenario without flashing userdata as well.

This is true. It actually surprises me that flashing the image the manual way doesn't cause more issues considering dalvik is contained on the userdata partition :thinking:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones