• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Pssst... CM7.2 is here...

It's now moved up to Beta.

FIXED ISSUES!
init now longer hogs 100% of a core
BLUETOOTH WORKS!
DSP Manager WORKS!
Torch (flashlight) WORKS!
Google Voice WORKS!
Dock Settings Re-Added
Battery Fix (battery files from 2.3.3)
Both SD Cards work

Known Issues!
SuperUser has an issue if it's updated in the market from 3.0.4 to 3.0.7. It won't download the new version of the su binary, however, you can update the su binary in 3.0.4.

Due to the battery daemons changing, you may get a ? in the battery icon. Just reboot again and it should go back to normal.

Currently Disabled Features (Because we don't support them)
Reboot Recovery
Reboot Bootloader
HDMI - There is no native code for HDMI in CM7, so this probably won't be fixed.
FM Radio - For now. Might be a fix later.

But, overall this ROM rocks! It is fast! I don't have to use ANY tweaking scripts to make this ROM fast because it's already fast!

Reactions: Scur
Upvote 0
Yeah, I put it on last night, woke up early today and finished installing, backing up, tweaking, etc. It's nice, fastest ROM I've tried yet so far. Time will tell if it stays that way after everything has a chance to settle in, but so far I'm extremely pleased with it.

Yup, this just proves how much of a resource hog BLUR is. We the consumers really should be given a choice as to whether or not we want BLUR or AOSP on our phones. AOSP is definitely the way to go. Let me spruce it up my way, with different launchers, themes, widgets. If I wanted to be held to a certain interface, I'd have gone with iPhone instead!

Upvote 0
Any suggestions for someone who has never rooted a droid before? How long does it take to root and apply cm7 to the X2 ? Is it significantly faster than stock? Is there more free memory available since Blur is gone? I'm not afraid of reading up and updating to cm7 but I'm wondering if I should wait for stock ics(maybe someday) or maybe cm9 (maybe someday) ?? Thanks in advance. This forum is full of really smart and helpful people!

Upvote 0
Any suggestions for someone who has never rooted a droid before? How long does it take to root and apply cm7 to the X2 ? Is it significantly faster than stock? Is there more free memory available since Blur is gone? I'm not afraid of reading up and updating to cm7 but I'm wondering if I should wait for stock ics(maybe someday) or maybe cm9 (maybe someday) ?? Thanks in advance. This forum is full of really smart and helpful people!

Doing everything for the first time? I'm guessing around an hour by the time you read everything to make sure you do it all correctly. Basically your steps are going to be like this...
  • root your phone (read the CM7 thread first to use the tools for rooting and flashing it suggests)
  • install an app manager like Titanium Backup or AntTek App Manager and back up all your apps
  • insure your contacts are backed up by syncing them with your Google account
  • install Bootstrap
  • perform a nandroid backup with Bootstrap
  • if you're not on 2.3.4 for some reason use RSD to flash your phone back to stock 2.3.4, otherwise nevermind
  • flash CM7
  • once you're good, sync your phone again to retrieve your contacts and redownload your app manager to restore your apps with data (user apps only, system apps cause issues crossing ROMs)
And that should be that. Just read entire posts and all instructions and make sure you understand what you need to do. Doing things half-blind is probably the biggest contributor to screwed up a flash.

And I highly suggest CM7 if you're wanting to change up your phone. It's hard telling when or even if ICS will ever come out for the X2. It does have a couple issues, though. The battery might not display the correct percentage (mine doesn't), the FM radio doesn't work, and the HDMI doesn't work. Everything else does, and using Fruit Ninja as a benchmark shows my phone running smoother and much faster than it ever has before. I used to have little bits of lag playing it, but I played for 10 minutes or so and never saw a single hiccup.

AWESOME... first ROM i will be trying i have been waiting sooooo long for this

It's freaking awesome. There is an issue with the battery, it doesn't show the correct percentage, but my phone has been on standby for over 2 and a half days now (it's an extra). My old ROMs never stayed on that long.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones