1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

psx4droid v2 help for Android newbe!

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Mozno1, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Mozno1

Mozno1 Lurker
    None

Mar 12, 2011
    Hi all,

I have recently signed up to my first contract with an android phone and i am loving it so far.
    One of the things that drew me to my new phone (Nexus S) was the thought of not being bound by apple and ofc the psx emulator.
    Now being a total noob to this platform i was wondering if you guys could answer me a few questions around psx4droid v2:

I think i have correctly installed the BIOS required onto my SSD card - I connected to PC, made a file on ssd called PSXoid, downloaded scph1001.bin and placed in in the folder i just mentioned. Now when i start the emulator it has the file listed rather than asking me to assign one. Does this sound like i have done things correctly?

If the above is correct, where can i get games? Mainly Final Fantasy 7 and Diablo?

Hope you guys can help.

Cheers!

Advertisement

2. shaolin95

shaolin95 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 3, 2010
    First you have to rip your own games or you go into piracy issues. Second, do yourself a favor and get FPSE which is light years ahead of PSX4Droid and enjoy truly awesome emulation.

Mozno1 likes this.
  3. Mozno1

Mozno1 Lurker
    None

Mar 12, 2011
    Ok so how do i rip my own game? Is there a certain format i have to rip it to?
    I will have to buy one from eBay.

4. shaolin95

shaolin95 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 3, 2010
    You can get free programs....
    PSX Rip

5. Mozno1

Mozno1 Lurker
    None

Mar 12, 2011
    Ok so i just rip it to ISO and then put it where on my phone? In the file i made on my SSD?
    Or do i need some sort of ISO mounting program for my phone?

Sorry new to all this! :thinking:

6. sparkerzzzz

sparkerzzzz Member
    None

Nov 3, 2010
    Just create a directory called PSROMS and put the isos in there. Then point your emulator to that directory.

Mozno1 likes this.
  7. Mozno1

Mozno1 Lurker
    None

Mar 12, 2011
    Thanks for the help.

How do you go with there being more than one disc for FF7? Do you create an ISO for each of the discs?

8. sparkerzzzz

sparkerzzzz Member
    None

Nov 3, 2010
    Yes.

9. Mozno1

Mozno1 Lurker
    None

Mar 12, 2011
    And then you switch file when the games asks, just like you would with the discs on an actual console?

10. No_u

No_u Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    Before you dive in all this... Do yourself a favor and download FPse (PSX emulator) from the market instead of PSX4Droid. It is MUCH faster and works with almost any ROM you throw at it. It is actively supported, PSX4Droid is dead.

You will get 60 fps on any game with FPse. If you're lucky you might get 20 fps on PSX4Droid, and that's inconsistent.

everlast84 and Mozno1 like this.
  11. gregs887

gregs887 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    Moorpark, CA
    Yes, but when you get to the end of the first disc make sure you save to the memory card, not a save state. That way you can load the file when you start the second disc.

Mozno1 likes this.
  12. Mozno1

Mozno1 Lurker
    None

Mar 12, 2011
    OK so i took your advice! I know have FPse installed and have FF7 running a treat! I can also save my game via the nice little UI.
    So my question is what happens when i hit disc two? Does my old save game still work? How do i switch?
    I presume the advice given greggs887 was based for PSX4Droid as i couldn't see anything that related to:
    "when you get to the end of the first disc make sure you save to the memory card, not a save state"?

Thanks so much for your help up to now guys, helped a nooby on his way!!

13. No_u

No_u Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    You have to save to the memory card, just as you would in real life when swapping discs. You can then virtually eject the disc and load up CD 2.

Just a quick question, are you using a .bios on your ROMs? FPse is really fast by itself, but using an original bios makes it even quicker (also check if Spu Sync is on in sound settings, it improves sound greatly).

The developers of FPse need to get their emulator out more, it isn't advertised well enough :/

14. Mozno1

Mozno1 Lurker
    None

Mar 12, 2011
    I am using a Bios i think!

I loaded scph1001.bin and then pointed the "BIOS loading" section of the "systems" settings to the file it is located in and then saved a standard setup!
    I was thinking about the sound! It rubbish, will try your tip! The games seems to run really well on my phone on this emulator (50 - 60 FPS), will i see a big drop when getting to the world map bit!?

15. No_u

No_u Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    You're going to be fine, this emulator works great on my Desire. The Nexus S has even better hardware.

By the way, put screen filtering off for best performance. Also, set frame skipping to 10 frames or higher, you might think it makes the games play less smooth but it actually helps.