• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Public Mobile

Did it used to be a system app? If so it won't work unless it is again so with root just push both the apk and the odex file to /system/app then set permissions properly(should be the same as the other large majority of system apps.) and then just reboot the phone. :)

Yeah it was probably a permission thing, I didn't wanna start messing around adb or flashing or before I got a confirmation. Smartmanvartan's suggestion solved the problem. I don't need the app anymore :D ty ty ty!!!

Reactions: smartmanvartan
Upvote 0
Ok so I used this modded WiFi tether for root users and used these settings:

device profile- Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)
setup method- Netd (master)
WIFI-driver reload- check!
Routing fix- check!
Preferred dns- getprop net.dns1(in terminal emulator)
Alternate dns- getprop net.dns2( || )
Disable Wake-lock- check!

All other check boxes unchecked (with the exception of WIFI encryption if you want it)

Let me know if it works on b11... :)

found the app HERE

From the WiFi tether issues thread...

Reactions: chand690
Upvote 0
Useful information:

HERE is the stock recovery flashable zip.

HERE, (MIRROR) is the stock ICS_PMI_B06 Stock ROM. It installs only on the stock recovery.

Can someone please help (guide) me how to flash back stock rom for this phone? My phone is mess up now. It's take 100% of RAM, so it's very lag on very touch. Even i restore my backup or re-flash the smartmanvartan's custom rom.
That's why i want to try restore from stock, unroot.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Can someone please help (guide) me how to flash back stock rom for this phone? My phone is mess up now. It's take 100% of RAM, so it's very lag on very touch. Even i restore my backup or re-flash the smartmanvartan's custom rom.
That's why i want to try restore from stock, unroot.

Thanks for your help.

It's very simple... Just copy the stock Rom and the stock recovery zip to your sd card. Then in cwm recovery flash the stock recovery zip. Then reboot your phone into recovery again and flash the stock Rom in the stock recovery. That will bring your phone back to stock... let me know if it fixes your issue but before doing this, try doing cache and dalvik cache wipe in cwm first...it might fix your issue with the lag.. good luck :)

Upvote 0
Thank a lots smartmanvartan. I'll do it tonight. And yes, i did clear cache/dalvik in cwmt but no help.

Update:
After restoring to stock, the problem is still remain.

I have no idea what happened to the phone, i was using roaming for 3 weeks in Florida then back home 4 days and it's like that.

Now it's slower than my original Warp. I can't even text, because the keyboard can't load or it's load then kick out, can't use any app. But i can call and talk hours no problem.

Upvote 0
Thank a lots smartmanvartan. I'll do it tonight. And yes, i did clear cache/dalvik in cwmt but no help.

Update:
After restoring to stock, the problem is still remain.

I have no idea what happened to the phone, i was using roaming for 3 weeks in Florida then back home 4 days and it's like that.

Now it's slower than my original Warp. I can't even text, because the keyboard can't load or it's load then kick out, can't use any app. But i can call and talk hours no problem.

That's strange... The only thing I ca think of is a digitizer issue that might give the illusion of a lag because of the lack of proper responsiveness... other than that I don't know... but I will say that I don't like this phone as much as the original warp. It is not built with the same quality and to be honest , I get better performance out of my heavily tweaked N860 than I do with our version of the N861... You should try one more thing... It's basic but yoiu never know... make a hard reset. Take the battery out and hold the power button for 30 seconds to drain all the power in the phone....

Upvote 0
Yes, I did the hard reset too.
I'll take the phone to Public Mobile counter this weekend to see if they can do something for me, or i switch back to my old Warp.

Thanks Smartman, appreciate your help!

Update:
The sdcard cause the problem, I format it and everything smooth. I have now more than 300Mb of ram free. Problem solve!

Upvote 0
hey guys is the a rom out the for the n861 warp with public to get the wifi hotspot to work?

Hey and welcome to AF! :)

If you read through this thread you will get a lot of info for your n861... for the moment i have reverted to my n860 because the lcd connector on my n861 motherboard is faulty and gives me a resolution issue... as for getting JB on the PMI-N860, its a whole differrent game.. the jb boost rom will work with a blue screen issue on our phone but flashing the nessesary firmware to resolve this issue results i a radio change that reaults in loss of network connectivity... the thruth is that the two versions of the n861 are physically different and this poses problems on using the boost rom on our phone and public mobile will most likely not release a jb updata.. PM me if you have any questions, I know this phone inside and out... :)

Upvote 0
From the WiFi tether issues thread...

Hey Smartmanvartan

Thanks you have been verry help full with the stoke public mobile zte n861 this meathode works :) with rooted i am running superUser elite thanks

one question is there a why to hide the teather like foxfi as the proxy setting worked great with my ZTE N762 with foxfi 1.95 unlocked with addon i found with the addon hide teather with the proxy worked alot better on computer with windows just a question is there any way to have that option in your modded wifi teather for rooted useres?

Upvote 0
new update on the switch over on going to telus towers is hear Whoot

Public Mobile here. We have a new network coming so stay tuned for important updates or visit publicmobile.ca/WhatsNew

ok now with public mobile i would like to figure out how to disable data throttling any help when the switch happens then we would be set man the service is going to be awesome help smartman

Reactions: smartmanvartan
Upvote 0
lol yea that was my bad. sorry bout that. but im not sure which files you need and youll have to be careful which partitions are requested as well as with that tool youre using. ive tried to figure it out but never could and its known to be risky

we do know of a possible hard brick recovery method... but its not gonna be easy to figure out and could be even riskier

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones