• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Public Service Announcement [NEW? PLEASE READ]

BlueDC2

Android Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2010
Public Service Announcement

Can I root my 2.1 leak/OTA 1.49 hboot?
NO!

Can I go back to 1.5 so I can root my 2.1 leak/OTA 1.49 hboot??
NO!

Can I get the OTA if I have the 2.1 leak?
NO!

Can I put live wallpapers on my 2.1 leak/OTA?
NO!

How do I put a custom rom on my phone?
"Are you rooted?"
No I have 2.1 leak, so what do I do?

You can't...you need root. No you still can't root.

I have the leaked 2.1, why isn't apps2sd working?!
That would require you to have ROOT

How do I set up overclocking/wifi tethering on 2.1 leak/OTA 1.49 hboot??
That would require you to have ROOT

This is in response to the thousands of posts spamming every thread I've seen in the past few weeks. I hope that this will help cut down people having to re-answer the most basic questions over and over again.

Mods, sorry if you feel like I'm trying to do your job or something, I'm not at all. I'm sure other members are getting annoyed at the lack of search and dumb, basic questions being posted every day too. Please delete if you feel necessary. Trying to avoid this all over:

____________________________________________________________________________________
is there any way to go from the leaked version of 2.1 to the official version
Please do a search before starting these new threads!!! This has been answered over a hundred times!! :), not hating though so don't take it the wrong way, just some constructive criticism.
____________________________________________________________________________________
I have tried searching for this, but there is a lot of noise still about the original 1.5 root to allow 2.1 leak to be installed back in March.
2.1 leak....no
2.1 OTA....yes
_____________________________________________________________________________________
hey i have the droid eris with the leaked 2.1 software. i am trying to figure any way possible to get the official update because of all the bugs and the market lacking certain apps. if anyone knows any way to get the update please let me know.

thanks
______________________________________________________________________________________
can i get live wallpaper for my droid eris?
(1st post)
______________________________________________________________________________________

Lmao hilarious! Theres alot of naive, incompetent members on here. Who don't have basic knowledge of anything what so ever. I say for the people who want to sign up for androidforums they gotta take an IQ test and pass to get a account! And for the people who fail there ip gets banned lmao. That way we can keep out all the idiots lol.

Upvote 0
Lmao hilarious! Theres alot of naive, incompetent members on here. Who don't have basic knowledge of anything what so ever. I say for the people who want to sign up for androidforums they gotta take an IQ test and pass to get a account! And for the people who fail there ip gets banned lmao. That way we can keep out all the idiots lol.

Squelch the hate man... :D

If we were to get all nit picky up in this joint, we'd be ousting you for your grammar :p

On a serious note, though, you have to remember that new people come here all the time with questions, and I'm pretty sure unless people on this forum shit rainbows, they probably came into this place asking a few questions that had likely previously been asked SOMEWHERE on this site.

All that being said, I vote sticky.

Upvote 0
Darn, when those leaks first came out, people were all over the place assuring people that when the OTA came out we could upgrade from the leak.

Is there a chance this will get resolved? If so, will someone make a post in this thread?
There's always a chance they will root it, but since the versions are identical, there is no chance the OTA will ever be applied to the leaked versions, nor will a roll back on the boot loader be possible.

The difference between the OTA and the leak (version 3) was only the boot loader was updated when you used the leak to a newer version (hboot 1.49 vs 1.47) where they "fixed" the hole for rooting.

Upvote 0
There's always a chance they will root it, but since the versions are identical, there is no chance the OTA will ever be applied to the leaked versions, nor will a roll back on the boot loader be possible.

The difference between the OTA and the leak (version 3) was only the boot loader was updated when you used the leak to a newer version (hboot 1.49 vs 1.47) where they "fixed" the hole for rooting.

Sorry, I'm not following you 100%... are you saying this will definitely never be fixed? Some of the other threads are a little more hopeful:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/76474-2-1-ota-beginning-5-11-2010-a.html

Upvote 0

Damn those "root-holin' fixers"! :mad:

Upvote 0
Sorry, I'm not following you 100%... are you saying this will definitely never be fixed? Some of the other threads are a little more hopeful:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/76474-2-1-ota-beginning-5-11-2010-a.html
No, I said "there's always a chance" (doesn't mean definitely not). They fixed the current hole (in 1.49), and devs are looking to see if they can crack the new one.

What I am saying definitely not to is the possibility of installing the OTA since the version LV3 is running is identical to OTA minus the boot loader. And rolling back the boot loader is not looking like a possibility either... Hacking the current boot loader is.

Upvote 0
Can my 2.1 leak v3 eris be transformed into a kitten killing machine? I was wondering if there is any way that I could post repetitive brainless threads about 2.1 and it some how kill thousands of kittens per hour.

Also, can I do this w/o root.

/sarcasm

I believe if you use a step up transformer, you may not be able to "kill" the kitten, but you may be able to give it one hell of a shock, and perhaps if we use EventGhost as the trigger based on keyword specific threads in the forum...

We should ask the devs about this, as I really think you're on to something here :D

Upvote 0

You'd sabotage your own I.Q. test with that post, on grammar, puctuation and spelling, not to mention a spectacularly naive assumption about forum members.

We won't bother to get into the differences between intelligence quotient and forthright seeking of knowledge in a forum such as this one.

I've seen the multiple postings of threads asking the same, or similar, questions repeatedly; the mistake is not one of intelligence, but one of impatience, the kind of impatience that causes members, new and older, to post a new thread rather than do a search in a forum.

It's everywhere and it has nothing to do with the relative intelligence of the people doing it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones