1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Public Wifi no connection problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mjayed, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Mjayed

Mjayed Lurker
    None

Jan 15, 2012
    Hi,

I have trouble using apps and browsers when I am connected to public open wifi networks when I am out and about.

I find the wifi network, connect and then go to try and use an app or browse the web and can't. It says no connection. I turn off wifi and connect to 3g and it works...

I use my mobile on home network and mates wifi networks and it works fine, but when out and about it doesn't seem to work, am I doing something wrong?

Advertisement

2. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    Are you actually connected? Just checking.

The other thing is to check if you are using a fixed IP or auto. Public wifi usually requires auto but home and office sometimes have fixed. Also, sometimes public wifi requires you to go to a certain website first and log in.... That's what I notice anyway. And of course public wifi is subject to slow down if too many users.

Maybe you can use a PC to test out the public wifi and see what settings works.

Good luck

3. Mjayed

Mjayed Lurker
    None

Jan 15, 2012
    yeah i think it might be the logging in thing... how do you usually log in? is it just by going to a browser and it should take you to the website?

cheers for the info!

4. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    Usually just go to any website and you are suppose to be redirected to a log in screen. I don't use that many public wifi, and the one I usually use not necessary have this problem. My problem with public wifi is that it is slower than my data line.... :p

5. Riche101

Riche101 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    Male
    EarthCaust Photography, Volunteer, Enviromental Re
    UK- Edinburgh, Brazil - 2 hrs from Rio de Janeiro
    Public wifi can be a pain at times, some places you have to sign up and pay for use. Go to near your Local Apple Store and piggyback of thier wifi hehe see if it works