• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Purchasing a new EVO to "TOY" with.

Matlock

Android Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2010
Texas!
twitter.com
Alrighty.. I want to get down and dirty with this lovely EVO, but would rather not "destroy" my only means of communication to the Outside Word. So here are some questions to see if anyone has any idea.

I am looking around on the lovely eBay site and figured I'd sign up for it and get back into the buying craze like I did when I was younger with my favorite game Final Fantasy IV, but anyway..

I see that some of the EVOs have bad ESNs, and that means they were either reported lost or stolen, or they were not paid for, from what I gather. I will probably stay away from those, but I would like to purchase a second EVO to Toy with and learn the ins and outs of that sucker, and make my Guide a little more in-depth.

I do not plan on activating another device, but isn't it possible to have an inactive phone, and still use a WiFi connection to use the markets and most of the features on the phone? No WiFi around here to test it out on.

And of course the hardest part of this is getting an EVO that is actually working. You never know with sellers on eBay, even the top rated ones. I've gotten stiffed before. So it wouldn't surprise me if it happens again.

Any in-sights would be beneficial. 'priciate it!

You can definitely use a Evo with WiFi as your primary internet connection, and buying one with a bad ESN might save you some bucks. Market and all G-apps will still work, just no texting or phone calls (which I'm sure you already knew). As far as getting a working Evo I have no insight on that lol, just cross your fingers when bidding I guess.

Upvote 0
You can definitely use a Evo with WiFi as your primary internet connection, and buying one with a bad ESN might save you some bucks. Market and all G-apps will still work, just no texting or phone calls (which I'm sure you already knew). As far as getting a working Evo I have no insight on that lol, just cross your fingers when bidding I guess.

This is all right on.
If you pick up one with a bad ESN, it would save you a lot of money. Then, you can use everything on the phone via wifi, except for sending/recieving actual texts, and obviously the phone. But since everything else will be fine with wifi i think you should do that.

Even post an ad on craigslist, Wanted: Bad ESN Evo, and see what offers you get.

I thought about doing this too, but im just taking the chances with mine lol.

Upvote 0
Here is another question..

Say I buy a used EVO that was previously activated with a good ESN.
If the phone is still active with another contract holder, I wouldn't be able to activate it onto mine. Or can I? If I can get one with a good ESN and in better shape, I surely want to use it as my main phone.

If they still have the Evo activated on their line then no you couldn't. Once they switch to a different phone then yes you could.

Upvote 0
I know of using BAD ESNs that were reported lost and stolen with out a hitch on an active contract before-I've seen this first hand multiple times.

As far as an EVO goes they may have changed something. Phones I know of were in the past (2 Samsung Instincts & 1 original Samsung Rant)

I have also seen someone send in a reported lost phone for a credit on a contract through the Sprint buy back program.

All phones were CDMA

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones