1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

push, pop email and reading emails offline.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by georgelowcar, Aug 12, 2010.

1. georgelowcar

georgelowcar Member

Aug 12, 2010
    I understand that android only supports push email for gmail (and obviously exchange server supports this). I also understand that yahoo is not pushed unless another app if fetched.

So my questions is how can i configure this system to get gmail pushed to this phone but i would like to be able to read the email (body only is fine) regardless if the phone has a data connection?

I know if i configure pop email, the entire email is fetched to the phone that i can read when offline, but with pop the device is polling the server. Not pushed. I would like to use push to notify the device new email exists and have it fetch the entire email down to the phone that i can read at a later time. I toggled 'flight mode' on/off to validate i couldn't read my email from the gmail application if 'flight mode' was enabled.

I come from the BB and i know the BB email configuration is king, but i don't think what i am asking for is too much? I understand the iphone will allow you to do this so i would think its a fundamental feature. I have reset to factory mode just in case i missed some setup option, but that did not make any difference.

It appears like the push feature for gmail is linked to the gMail application which requires a data connection. Is this correct?

- george

Advertisement