1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Put Android on a MP3 player

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by MicroCloud0110, Jul 30, 2017.

1. MicroCloud0110

Hello everybody,

Excuse my approximate English but as the title says, I want to put Android on a MP3 player.
    I don't know the device already but you can suggest one that can install Android and please describe me the process.
    Thank for your help,
    MicroCloud0110

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by psionandy, Jul 30, 2017 (3 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. psionandy

psionandy Extreme Android User

I think you're doing this the wrong way round.

Rather than putting Android on an MP3 player, you want to put an MP3 player on an Android device.

Pretty much any android device you're likely to find (new or second hand) will be able to play MP3 files

4. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

To put Android on an MP3 player you'd need to make a custom build of Android (called a ROM) that is specifically for that device, which takes a lot of work.

I'd recommend what @psionandy suggested. :thumbsupdroid:

The_Chief, Dannydet and psionandy like this.
  5. MicroCloud0110

I just want to remove the actually OS and put not a full version of Android but just the Android base and the app music

6. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

You would need to root the device and install a custom Rom

7. MicroCloud0110

How do you root an mp3 player ?

8. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Rooting refers to the process of enabling root access to the operating system. And unless the mp3 player is already running some form of Unix type O/S, then 'rooting' has no meaning for that device.
    The mp3 player will be running some bespoke firmware, not Unix based. Unless you have intimate knowledge of the hardware, then writing a custom ROM for it is hopeless.

lunatic59, kate and Dannydet like this.
  9. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Without knowing your motivations to have Android on a MP3 player, if you're just looking for something inexpensive that can play a wide range of media file types, take a look at Rockbox. Note it's not Android based (nor is it based on a Linux kernel, the Rockbox kernel was developed on its own). I used to have it running on a refurbished iPad Classic years ago and it worked really well playing not just mp3 but ogg and flac files, and it eliminated the need for iTunes. Plus the firmware itself was simply added in, not replacing the original firmware, so switching back was just a matter of deleting the Rockbox firmware.
    https://www.rockbox.org/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockbox