• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Put Videos on Droid

Read through this whole thread, and thought I was good to go. Downloaded handbrake...no problem. Downloaded dvd43...PROBLEM! I am running vista 64 and it says it is not compatible with 64bit. Googled for other decrypters and most seem to cost money and was not sure if they would work either . Anybody know of a good free version that will work with vista64 that works in the background like dvd43?
I would rather do it this way than go to crackberry. Any work around or advice is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Ran into another problem. I ripped a couple of movies to my computer with no problem, but on one movie handbrake started...then it just stopped. Retried a few times (and rechecked settings) and it did the same thing. I used DVD encrypter first too. I figured that might be out of date or something so I installed another one on my computer (DVDfab) and then used handbrake and the same thing happens...The new window opens and it starts to go, then after about two seconds the new window just goes away. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I test a lot of software for reviews for NeatNetTricks.com

I'm currently testing Applian's "ReplayCapture Suite". $79
The converter as a stand alone is $29.95 It converts video, audio, rips/burns & copies DVD, works with flv, iPod/iPhone.
It does a ton of stuff including converting almost anything.
The video converter module works sweet. It dumb simple. Just drop whatever file and select MP4 output. I just converted 3 Qik video files over to MP4.:D

It also captures .flv from the web as well as audio MP3 etc. it has a "splitter/joiner feature that I haven't tried yet.

Costs money but works great.
Capture Streaming Video and Record Streaming Audio

Upvote 0
May be too little too late but maybe it'll help someone..

Plug phone into computer with USB cable. Pull down notification bar and tell it to mount.

Should open on your comp like a normal USB device.

Then you can make whatever folders you want in the DCIM folder (I Think?) Wherever you see the camera folder just make whatever you want along side it. I made a music, video, contact list, friends and family.

Copy paste your videos into the video folder you made (I've only tried .mp4). Unplug. ??

Go into you "Gallery" folder in your menu, should see what you created and be able to play whatever from there.

Phases: You need to UNMOUNT the card first before you just unplug or you might scramble it and loose everything.

Upvote 0
Alright, I finally got the videos converting correctly for the Droid. Sometimes the audio is a bit off though. At first I thought it was due to the conversion process, but when I tried playing the same video a few minutes later, everything was synced up fine.

Does anyone know how to get titles to show up on the videos as well? Right now my "movies" folder is showing all the thumbnails, but I have no way of knowing which video it is since they're all pretty similar. I've gone through all the settings in the gallery app, but I haven't seen anything applying to titles at all.

Long press the file, select edit>rename
Easy Peasy;)

Upvote 0
Handbrake 0.9.4 wont let me change the resolution on videos with a smaller resolution than the Droid's screen. with 0.9.3 it would let me change it. Any suggestions?

Currently trying to convert a 512x384.

This is a glitch. I posted on the handbrake forums about it and they were surprised. The short answwer was dont up convert but set anamorphic to on.

Search for my name on handbrake forums for more details.

Upvote 0
I just did my first movie, which started as an MKV rip of a Blu-Ray disc. Final file size was 1.4 GB, and it plays just beautifully (original size was 1920 x 800, I kept aspect ration and transcoded it to 848 * 352, and it took under 1.5 hours.)

Though I haven't been here in a long time, just wanted to say again, that this place rocks.

Upvote 0
hey folks,
was using xilisoft converter, and converted a bunch of .avi's no prob. I just input the same resolution as source file, and although not sure if necessary, set it to 2-pass encode. this worked great for all my toons.

couple questions:

I'm using Meridian Player (upgraded, although IDK what that did for me exactly), and anything approaching 1,000kbps gives a warning that video may lag or not play. they play, but I read somewhere that bitrate was capped at 1,000, don't know if for Meridian Player, or for Droid, but people are talking about bitrates of 1500. Is it my player?

tried Handbrake, it says win7 compatible, but won't work, followed guide off of other site, which specifies 1500 bitrate. Problem is I start app, get source, set up for legacy ipod, then make adjustments, start encoding, CLI pops up and a few seconds go by, then it says step 1 of 3 100%, the lower left still says encoding, but it's obvious that it's not due to cpu usage, then after another 20s or so I get a pop-up saying Handbrake has stopped working. I tried reinstalling it, but same results, also tried compatibility mode, but same results.

so, back to xilisoft, now trying to re-encode BD files, however had sync issues, and the picture was small, didn't fill up width, but at the time used 800x480. after reading some posts set to 848x464, and I get another warning saying size too big for screen, which is weird bcz I have another vid, from mkv source, which I set to 800x480, but came out as 853xsomething, and that plays fine. anybody encoding from blu-ray with good solution?

I may try the aforementioned yxflash, as it supposedly plays .avi's, that would be handy as I already have a ton of files in that format. I would really like to get the blu-ray conversion down though. I've googled for mp4 converters and tried several, but none that worked right. In some cases I found that I first had to run the file through tsmuxer to downgrade audio to either dts or ac3 first, as converters wouldn't read HD audio formats.

also tried xvid4psp, which I used to use for ipod, and it works great, but it won't read .m2ts files properly, which it's supposed to do, and I'm almost positive I've used in the past. It's almost like something is up with my computer, but everything seems to be working fine aside from these apps.

thanks for any suggestions,
rlr

Upvote 0
Phases: You need to UNMOUNT the card first before you just unplug or you might scramble it and loose everything.

Hi,
I was wondering about that, but when I go to settings, etc (which would be a pita tbh to do every time), Unmount is greyed out. afaik, that is just for removing sd card. and, if you pull the drop down menu, with usb connected, and select Turn Off USB Storage, the prompt says to unmount first, which you can't do. so, I don't see any other recourse than just pulling plug, which I have been doing since I got the Droid and haven't experienced any problems.

thanks,
rlr

Upvote 0
Hi,
I was wondering about that, but when I go to settings, etc (which would be a pita tbh to do every time), Unmount is greyed out. afaik, that is just for removing sd card. and, if you pull the drop down menu, with usb connected, and select Turn Off USB Storage, the prompt says to unmount first, which you can't do. so, I don't see any other recourse than just pulling plug, which I have been doing since I got the Droid and haven't experienced any problems.

thanks,
rlr

Some confusion of terms here. Understandable with the menu on the Droid.
Although the USB devices/drives are SUPPOSED to be PnP, if you don't "stop" it on the computer first, it can bork the card. There should be an icon in the system tray to "unmount" USB devices. Or you can find it in explorer. Find the drive letter assigned to the card when it is mounted, right click and choose "eject". It should give you a message saying it is safe to remove the device now. Some systems use "write behind caching" and if the card is still being written to, it will corrupt it.:(
Dana

Upvote 0
Some confusion of terms here. Understandable with the menu on the Droid.
Although the USB devices/drives are SUPPOSED to be PnP, if you don't "stop" it on the computer first, it can bork the card. There should be an icon in the system tray to "unmount" USB devices. Or you can find it in explorer. Find the drive letter assigned to the card when it is mounted, right click and choose "eject". It should give you a message saying it is safe to remove the device now. Some systems use "write behind caching" and if the card is still being written to, it will corrupt it.:(
Dana

I see, that makes sense, I was thinking phone, not pc
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Try HD Encoder from XDA Developers forum. This one is really easy to use and converts everything to compatible MP4 files.

cool, thanks, but searched xda forums and couldn't find app, there was a post specifically for G1 that suggested Super encoder, haven't tried it though, and wasn't sure about the specs the guy was using, 480x272(?). this is contrary to what others were saying, 848w. I wonder if 464h is too high, and that's what is throwing the error about video size being too big, trying another encode now at 352, which someone specified, using xilisoft bd ripper.

Is anyone using Meridian player at all? I paid for the registered version via author's website, not sure what is different though. Thinking of trying Act1, it's only a buck and a half, might as well.

Although, I would very much like to play .avi files on Droid. is it confirmed that yxflash does this (well)? It was my impression that the Droid doesn't support .avi though.

thanks,
rlr

Upvote 0
OK, more confusing. encoded a BD rip clip to .mp4 h264/aac, 1200/192, 848x352, Meridian Player says screen size too large, and won't play, only audio. Installed act I, it says "playable", along with all my other vids, which in Meridian gave "too high bitrate" warning, even though between 800-900kbps, BUT in Act I the same clip comes out really small, there is a huge border all the way around it, yet it's supposed to be at 848x352, which should fill width at least, now I don't know if it's the player or converter, or what. It said something about a zoom function and to read about in help file, I don't know where they d/l that file too though, but it's kind of beside the point because at 848x352 I should be mostly filling screen, right? Hate to say it, but I think iPod handles video better, never had any probs encoding for that, or very little, but maybe droid just needs to mature a little more, idfk, what I do know is I've devoted way too much time to this, lol, nevertheless I'm determined to find solution.

Thanks for feedback,
rlr

Upvote 0
Progress- took my Star Trek '09 clip and set xilisoft BD encoder to 848x480. Video size came out good, it's ultra wide screen so has top and bottom borders, as to be expected, but it does fill the width of the screen. Only prob now is that video is choppy, and I have no audio. I suspect the audio problem is related to re-encoding the HD audio, had same prob with other converters, should be fine if I downconvert to standard format first, although makes it a 2 step process which I wanted to avoid, but the first step is quick so no big.

But as far as video choppiness, what bitrate is best for Droid?

I read to do it at 1500, but previously was using ~800, and did not experience choppiness.

Boo for Meridian Player, this same file again says it's unplayable, yet with Act I it plays, albeit not quite right yet.

thanks again,
rlr

Upvote 0
Here's another encoding script for Linux, that I whipped up. It uses mplayer and ffmpeg for 2-pass x264 encoding. It handles the scaling calculations for you, including anamorphic scaling (fits videos inside a 848x480 area without distorting the pixels). I used MPlayer for video decoding, because it supports SSA subtitles and pretty much any video I throw at it.

I have the video bitrate set to 1500kbps, because some videos look like crap @ 1000k, like this one:
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service Bird_42_MBit_ABR_(+-1.5 MBit).mkv 109.6 MB
Honestly that video's pretty bad at 1500k too, but the small screen

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Sanity check
if [ -z "${2}" ]; then
    echo "2-pass x264 video converter for Motorola Droid"
    echo "Usage: droidenc.sh <input_filename> <output_filename>"
    echo " * Input file can be anything that mplayer can play"
    echo " * Output filename should be .mp4..."
    exit
elif [ -e "${2}" ]; then
    echo "Error: output file \"${2}\" exists. Delete or rename it to proceed."
    exit
fi

MPLAYER=/usr/local/bin/mplayer
FFMPEG=/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg
#MPLAYER="`which mplayer`"
#FFMPEG="`which ffmpeg`"

FIFO="encode.fifo"
# The Droid's video player doesn't like 854x?? videos; I think it likes dimensions in 16px multiples
SCREEN_WIDTH="848"
SCREEN_HEIGHT="480"

# These options work ok, but don't respect anamorphic ratios, and ignores aspect ratios when downscaling
#MPLAYER_OPTS="-vf scale=${SCREEN_WIDTH}:${SCREEN_HEIGHT}:noup=1,harddup -vo yuv4mpeg:file=${FIFO} -nosound -quiet -benchmark -noframedrop"

# dsize restricts the maximum scale to 848x480 while preserving aspect ratio,
# scale applies anamorphic scaling (if necessary)
FFMPEG_COMMON="-vpre ipod640 -b 1500k -bt 1000k -threads 8"
FFMPEG_AOPTS="-acodec libfaac -ab 128k -ac 2"

# Figure out our source video's display resolution
MPLAYER_LOG="`tempfile -d . -p mplayer -s .log`"
"${MPLAYER}" -nosound -vo null -endpos 0 -identify "${1}" > "${MPLAYER_LOG}" 2>&1
VIDEO_ASPECT=`grep -m1 ID_VIDEO_ASPECT ${MPLAYER_LOG} | cut -d '=' -f 2`
VIDEO_HEIGHT=`grep -m1 ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT ${MPLAYER_LOG} | cut -d '=' -f 2`
VIDEO_WIDTH=`grep -m1 ID_VIDEO_WIDTH ${MPLAYER_LOG} | cut -d '=' -f 2`
VIDEO_DWIDTH=`echo "${VIDEO_HEIGHT}*${VIDEO_ASPECT}" | bc -q`
# sometimes mplayer returns 0 for the aspect, so we should check both scaled and unscaled widths
TOO_WIDE=`echo "${VIDEO_DWIDTH}>${SCREEN_WIDTH} || ${VIDEO_WIDTH}>${SCREEN_WIDTH}" | bc -q`
TOO_TALL=`echo "${VIDEO_HEIGHT}>${SCREEN_HEIGHT}" | bc -q`
echo "VIDEO HEIGHT: ${VIDEO_HEIGHT}"
echo "VIDEO WIDTH: ${VIDEO_WIDTH}"
echo "VIDEO ASPECT: ${VIDEO_ASPECT}"
echo "VIDEO DWIDTH: ${VIDEO_DWIDTH}"
echo "TOO WIDE: ${TOO_WIDE}"
echo "TOO TALL: ${TOO_TALL}"
if [ ${TOO_TALL} -gt "0" ] || [ ${TOO_TALL} -gt "0" ]; then
    echo "Downscaling to fit inside ${SCREEN_WIDTH}x${SCREEN_HEIGHT} window"
    MPLAYER_OPTS="-sws 9 -vf dsize=${SCREEN_WIDTH}:${SCREEN_HEIGHT}:0:16,scale=0:0,harddup -vo yuv4mpeg:file=${FIFO} -nosound -quiet -benchmark -noframedrop"
else
    echo "Not downscaling: source fits inside fit inside ${SCREEN_WIDTH}x${SCREEN_HEIGHT} window"
    # the only scaling here is expansion for anamorphic video
    MPLAYER_OPTS="-sws 9 -vf scale=-8:-8,harddup -vo yuv4mpeg:file=${FIFO} -nosound -quiet -benchmark -noframedrop"
fi
#exit

# Create fifo, removing an old one if necessary
if [ -p "${FIFO}" ]; then
    rm "${FIFO}"
fi
mkfifo "${FIFO}"

# 1st pass
"${MPLAYER}" ${MPLAYER_OPTS} "${1}" &
"${FFMPEG}" -i ${FIFO} -pass 1 -an -vcodec libx264 -vpre fastfirstpass ${FFMPEG_COMMON} -f rawvideo -y /dev/null

# Encode audio stream
AUDIO_FILE="`tempfile -d . -p audio -s .mp4`"
"${FFMPEG}" -vn -i "${1}" ${FFMPEG_AOPTS} -y "${AUDIO_FILE}"

# 2nd pass - mux the audio stream as well
"${MPLAYER}" ${MPLAYER_OPTS} "${1}" &
if [ -s "${AUDIO_FILE}" ]; then
    "${FFMPEG}" -i ${FIFO} -i "${AUDIO_FILE}" -pass 2 -acodec copy -vcodec libx264 -vpre hq ${FFMPEG_COMMON} "${2}"
else
    "${FFMPEG}" -i ${FIFO} -pass 2 -vcodec libx264 -vpre hq ${FFMPEG_COMMON} "${2}"
fi

# Clean up
rm "${FIFO}"
if [ -s "${2}" ]; then 
    echo "Encode complete: \"${2}\""
    if [ -f "${AUDIO_FILE}" ]; then rm "${AUDIO_FILE}"; fi
    if [ -f "${MPLAYER_LOG}" ]; then rm "${MPLAYER_LOG}"; fi
    if [ -f ffmpeg2pass-0.log ]; then rm ffmpeg2pass-0.log; fi
    if [ -f x264_2pass.log ]; then rm x264_2pass.log; fi
    if [ -f x264_2pass.log.mbtree ]; then rm x264_2pass.log.mbtree; fi
else
    echo "UH-OH something went wrong"
    rm "${2}"
fi

Upvote 0
Don't set too high bitrates. You aren't going to see any real difference and will use up a lot more memory and when playing a lot more calucation power (cpu, gpu) and that for more energy and shorter battery life.
800 bit is imho absolutely OK.

earlier I took another clip, downconverting the BD audio file worked btw, and I used 768kbps, the end result seems to always be higher though, this one came out at 976, the choppiness had improved, but is still there. I'll try it a bit lower.

Thanks!
rlr

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones