1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

How To Put Videos on Droid

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JB4times4, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser

Nov 7, 2009
    Multi-platinum Rapper
    Illinois
    Hey everyone, I think I found some great settings to convert with (for Handbrake):

I'm not sure about ripping straight from a DVD, but when you have a file (mine are 720/1080p .MKVs in 16:9), you can use these following settings:

Easy way: Select iPod legacy, change width to 848 (should turn box green automatically)

Exact Settings:

848x480 resolution, H.264 codec, 1500kbps avg bitrate, AAC 48KHz 160Kbps

Here's a sample I made yesterday, watch it on your Droid and your eyes will be pleased!

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

No copyright infringement intended.

It takes me ~45min to convert a full length movie with these settings. This is with a Ph. II X4 940 quad core at 3.7GHz. My guess is that if you have a quad core it will take roughly an hour, dual core, perhaps 2.

Let me know if these settings work for you!

Advertisement

2. MicroNix

MicroNix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Update 2: Took 18 minutes for doubleTwist to convert *and sync* a 699MB DivX/AVI file to the Droid. This is on a 2.4Ghz quad core machine with SATA drives.

Also note, Apple podcasts sync just fine, but they are formatted for an inferior screen and therefore do not fill the Droid's screen :)

So far, I'd say doubleTwist is the way to go even though it has its quirks.

3. almostemerica17

Oct 29, 2009

Ha sounds good. I wish the "do all" droid would have supported divx because that is what all the movies and tv shows I download are. That is why the Omnia 2 looked so good. Hope they hurry that flash support too.

1 more question, when I was in the VZW store I found an app in the android marketplace to play divx files. Anyone know how well of if this works?

Thanks.

4. Happenstance

Happenstance Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I'm using the iPod hiRez preset. it keeps the original file resolution, so I'll have to see if it needs to be downsized when I do some 720p vids... It works well though, wow this screen is sharp! hope a good video player gets written soon.. . would love better transport controls and more options.

5. holokaustos

holokaustos Member

Nov 7, 2009
    I used the 'iPod Touch' settings on CloneDVD Mobile. I converted a commercial movie to MP4 and got it over to the Droid. It played wonderfully, but it appears that the audio was slightly out of sync. When I say 'slightly', I mean that it was fine in the middle of the movie, but just a tad off at the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes.

I'm going to d/l HandBrake and give it a whirl. I'll post results when I have some.

EDIT: A year since the last HandBrake update? Am I reading that correctly? If so, could some of the problems in this thread be associated with a lack of updates for so long?

6. eL777

eL777 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Anyone else having audio/video sync problems? I've been trying an episode of lost in HD and I've tried handbrake and doubletwist, and the audio doesnt exactly match the video. Any suggestions?

7. shortdroid

shortdroid New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Yes I have had the same issue. I found if I use Meridian to launch a video there is a delay between sound and video. If you use the standard video player it works fine. I assume many apps still need to be updated for 2.0.

I cannot get the video to fill the screen at various resolutions. Any ideas? I can play a video but it does not take up the entire screen. I use DVD ripper. Works great for iphone but Im having trouble for droid. Thanks.

8. 4lph4num3r1c

4lph4num3r1c Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    anyone here use Super(c)? It used to convert flawlessly but now I can't get it to work at all. I don't know what happened but it just gives me an error message just before it finishes. Any help?

9. RandomEngy

RandomEngy Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Just FYI I have had some A/V sync issues when using the default video player on the phone (and the Video Player app, and the Act 1 player).

The Cinema app is the only one that seems to keep A/V sync when seeking.

10. clayhamm

clayhamm New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I just installed the free app AndExplorer and my google videos and other .mp4 vids play just fine. with this app you can search your sd card and simply click and play...love it!

11. zim2704

zim2704 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    okok so I used handbrake to convert a movie directly from a dvd and it looks great and plays but the chapters jump all over the place. The sequence of the movie is completely off, any ideas?

12. knock

knock Member

Nov 7, 2009

Perfect using 2 different apps. Very nice job.

I have a question for anyone. Why not encode audio using mp3 instead of AAC? Seems like either should work so it doesn't really matter. I'm just wondering

13. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser

Nov 7, 2009
    Multi-platinum Rapper
    Illinois
    Glad those settings worked for you.

I think when it comes to AAC vs. MP3, AAC is prefered as it's the newer codec, preserves sound quality better at lower bitrates, and results in smaller file sizes.

A downside is that maybe the decode is more CPU intensive? Even if that's the case, I doubt it makes much of a difference in the big picture.

14. Watashi

Watashi Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009

This is working for me, so far. But at 1h 45m to convert 1 movie (700~MB .avi) it almost doesn't seem worth it. I really hope someone comes out with a video player that will play avi's

15. jeffyo

jeffyo Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Pharmaceuticals
    SF Bay Area
    You guys just need to use Super C.

I convert to 16:9 320X176 480Kbps 64-96 Kbps audio .MP4.

Works like a charm. Give it a few tries to learn to use it. Once you have its a very powerful tool.

I can do a quick tutorial on qik.com if anyone wants me to. I'll set up a live feed using my NEW Eris to demonstrate.

The hard one is the MKV file. The important thing to make sure there is, subtitles. You must uncheck "hide subtitles."

Handbrake for DVD's is a no Brainer.

16. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    I think I found the reason why some video's audio are stuttering for me like other users have had. its the way the file was encoded.

I was trying to convert some mkv files and only certain mkv files had the stuttering audio problem. I converted one file fine while another did not. I'm using handbrake btw, so I looked in the activity window while the file was encoding and I got all kinds of audio error messages. something about missing audio at that specific point so something was added to the audio (sorry not at my pc right now so I can't remember exactly). the message kept coming up every couple seconds so I'm guessing something was messed up in the audio during the original converting of that file.

17. Hi,
    To confirm:
    - in USB mode, made 'Music' and 'Video' folders
    - dragged mp4 into video folder
    - did not see it in the Droid Gallery until I powered off and on
    - there it was. I tapped, got it playing, but two things:

- while playing, "Sorry, this video cannot be played" came up
    - then it stopped.

I'm thinking either:
    a) we need a list of settings to use (but that's a little much, we want this simple and enjoyable) or
    b) we need to know the best media player... one that is forgiving and manages the details

For example, I kept a list of video settings for YouTube until they made both my Mac software and YouTube itself much more robust.

18. Thanks for all the ideas and advice here! I can vouch for Handbrake, and I am on my way to download AndExplorer.

19. khanet

khanet Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Ok so I've got 720p converted using handbrake. While using these settings:ipod legacy, 848x480, h.264,1500 kbps, acc 48 khz 160 kbps, and the video is great. I mean its 10/10. But the audio is so choppy I haven't heard a single word from the movie. I was just wondering why my audio isn't working and urs is.

20. Mine which worked is:
    640x360,h.264, 790.67 kbps, 44.1 khz (AAC audio)

21. khanet

khanet Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Ok thanks for those settings, ill try them out after work today. So ur telling me I have to sacrifice my video settings as well as audio? Id like to keep my video but if I can't then, well then no big deal.

22. Oh, I'm not sure at all. Just sharing. Scrolling through this thread, I see that others have used 1500, 48 etc. There may be some other trick. What I'd like is a file transfer utility that handles all this! (Video looks and sounds quite nice at my settings, though.)

23. khanet

khanet Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Thanks banshee. Ill try your settings later. At this point I just want it to work, and if yours looks good then that's fine with me

24. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Can someone wite a step by step for noobs including what applications you need?

25. Well, this thread is just about video and getting it onto your Droid. So, there are a lot of good steps already posted (I even did a summary one a couple of posts back). That said, I am going to get Missing Sync... the all in one sync software (gosh I sound like a commercial). Sounds like it'll manage it all. Droid version expected real soon.