1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General putting on 2.3 onto blade

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JonMOn, Aug 15, 2011.

1. JonMOn

JonMOn Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    Hi there
    I have put 2.2 on my phone but realized I can put on 2.3. Is this most currunt o.s? Also does it run ok on a Gen 1 blade? Also what is the best way to put it on the phone? What site and download is best to use?
    Thanks for any help

Advertisement

2. dannymur

dannymur Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Male
    Ireland's Lake Land
    2.3 (Gingerbread) is not the latest Android Version......That would be 3.0/..2 (Honeycomb)

Android (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are currently two main varieties of 2.3 being developed, at least on Modaco, Ginger Stir Fry, and CyanogenMod 7.

GSF is based on a leaked 2.3 ROM from ZTE, and it is now at Beta 20, AFAIK.

Link

CyanogenMod (CM) is a community supported and developed ROM/Firmware, across many different handsets, which includes Blade/OSF.

This is the main site, which is interesting, but this is a more Blade friendly thread on Modaco, for latest releases etc.

However, I don't think there are any Honeycomb ROM's for Blade....maybe Themes OK.

Note, these are both GEN2 only now, and you would have to upgrade to GEN2, either via Custom TPT GEN1/2 Upgrade, then Flash whichever ROM you want to use, or an all-in-one TPT, which incorporates the GEN2 Upgrade, and a Custom ROM of whichever version you want.

Note, the TPT is not the same as upgrading via ClockWork Mod Recovery, and there is a different method....you should check all this out on Modaco, IMHO.

Just for your info, if you were by any chance happy with Swedish Spring, there is no real need to go to GEN2, as there is no big advantage, just no upgrade path to 2.3.

I was on SS5/GEN2, went to GSF, but went back again, as I found GSF did not give as good a user experience.

Hope some of the above helps.

El Presidente likes this.
  3. weltall

weltall Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    I thought Android 3 Honeycomb was only for tablets. I am pretty sure I have read a thread on some forums about a working Honeycomb release for Blade but installing it only transforms it to a pocket tablet.

And I was about to ask about the Ginger Stir Fry but I am guessing it is not as good as CM7 since you say it like that, that you went back.

4. JonMOn

JonMOn Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    Thanks for all the info
    I think I might stay with 2.2 if there is not much difference to 2.3. Its good to be able to put apps on the SD card. One other thing I would like to know how can I make more space on the internal memory other than take the apps of , as it seem to be full. This seem to happen when I upgraded the rom. Do you if it puts more data on the memory with 2.2?
    thanks for your help

5. JonMOn

JonMOn Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    Hi again
    There was something else I would like to know, is it ok to over clock the blade?
    Also if it is is it ok to use the cpu master app. ? And what's the best it can go up to?
    Sorry for asking so many questions, but I am new to android and liked to get the most out of the phone now its rooted
    thanks again

6. dannymur

None

Mar 22, 2011
    Male
    Ireland's Lake Land
    Jeez, I don't wanna dis GSF at all, a lot of ppl really like it, and get a good experience from it, same with CM7, so I really don't want to critizise, just say what I found.

I don't think I gave GSF enough time, but this is a phone, and you need to be happy with the UI, the user experience and the ROM in general, and not really feel the need to upgrade to the latest nightly, or next Beta, which may or may not fix a problem, only to re-introduce something which was fixed 6 months ago.

This is the nature of Beta (and Alpha) testing, but at some stage, you must make a choice, whatever works best for you, and stick.....not saying you don't try another version, but always have a Nandroid backup, ready to go back to what worked for you.

7. dannymur

None

Mar 22, 2011
    Male
    Ireland's Lake Land
    Jon, if you got 2.2, is it Swedish Spring? No matter which ROM, 2.2 (Froyo) has in-built support for App2SD. How many Apps do you have, have you used App2SD to move Apps to SD? You can check with Settings/Apps/Manage Apps.

There is another option, Dark Tremor A2SD, which will move all your Apps from Internal Storage to an ext-sd partition on your SD card.

This takes a little work, like backing up contents of SD to your PC, partitioning your SD Card with a FAT32 and ext-2/3 partition, about 1GB on my 16GB Card, restoring your back-up to the FAT32 Partition, and enabling A2SD.....it is already there on Swedish Spring......best way to manage is to get A2SDGUI from Market. Use Google.....

You can OC Swedish Spring 2.2, if you got that, and there is a system app to control this, No-Frills CPU Control....it's there!!!!

What 2.2 ROM do you have??

No-Frills allows OC up to theoretical 800MHz, but for practical purposes, 691/710 is as high as it will go, but this can be selected, depending on individual handset, each one is different.

Mine will crash at 691, so I set 672, for safety.....you can also set Minimum Freq, and select Governor.

Gettin late, goin to bed.....night Jon Boy!!!:D

8. JonMOn

JonMOn Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    hi there am back on the forum:)
    I have just read every ones replies much appreciated. dannymur I am not sure what I have to do move to sd card. I have downloaded A2SDGUI but not sure how to use it? can you give me step by step walk through from PC, like converting the card to fat 32 format to, using A2SDGUI? will this put every app on sd card? As I cant put on every app on the SD card at the moment. Also will it automatically put an app on the SD card ones it is set up? Or is there a web page shows walk through?

I have used a setCPU to speed up the processor. As it seem to less lightly to reboot. I did use No frills cpu but it rebooted on a lower setting. I can get 691 but no more is about right? It reboots any higher than that. I am well pleased that it is working.

There was something else I was looking at on this site and that is Gumbo custom kernel. Can I use this on the san francisco? If I can is there I site that I can follow the steps to applying it?

thanks for all for your help:D

9. JonMOn

JonMOn Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    hi forgot to say I have Swedish Spring 2.2 on the phone.

10. dannymur

None

Mar 22, 2011
    Male
    Ireland's Lake Land
    Jon, you read my previous post??

I think that is a pretty good synopsis of what you need to do, if you want to use DT A2SD, and the GUI is simply an easy method to execute the A2SD commands. I meant it when I said use Google....the info is all out there.

Just 1 Link....SS RLS5 and A2SD - Android @ MoDaCo

Just in case, remember to do a Nandroid Back-up of your current set-up in Recovery.....Also, back-up the SD Card, including hidden files and folders....and make sure you store those on your PC/Computer, or some external storage, as you will have to wipe the SD card to format, and create new FAT32 and SD-Ext-2/3 partitions, both should be primary partitions, FAT32 1st, ext-2/3 second.

But, before you go into DT's A2SD, have you tried Froyo's (Swedish Spring) own App2SD? It may do what you want/need, without needing to partition the SD. The App which acts as a manager for this is App2SD

Now, unless you wanna post/mail your phone to me, I can't give any more info!!!

11. JonMOn

JonMOn Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    Hi there
    thanks for replying
    I kind of get what your saying but I am not very technically minded:rolleyes: so I was not sure exactly what to do. I put the 2.2 on my phone with help from my friend so I will get him to help again.

12. dannymur

None

Mar 22, 2011
    Male
    Ireland's Lake Land
    Hope this will work out for you.....

Enjoy With a Little Help from my Friends.....best version ever!!!

1970, Joe Cocker, Leon Russell + Mad Dogs and Englishmen.......They don't make them like this any more.

I was 16 then....loooong time ago.

Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends - YouTube

Tags: