• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Q] APP Lock (or anything similar)

In Smart AppLock I havent seen a way to do what your asking.
In APP Lock I didnt see a way to do what your asking but I havent used it for about 2 months and maybe a update allows you to do it now.
As far as App Locker I dont think I would use it given its reviews.
I dont know of an app that does what your asking but maybe someone else does. Sorry I didnt have better news for you and I hope this helps.

Reactions: mrhomiec
Upvote 0
Got my Nexus 10, my first ever android device, on Friday and have multiple users setup as it's for family use. I tried APP Lock (free version) and that was as buggy as heck !, I'd lock settings and gmail apps for one user then on all the other users it would cause these apps to freeze ! (hang as soon as they were opened etc). I've now removed it and the N10 behaves as it should.

I've tried AVG free and the app locker in this works just as it should, no freezes for other users, but as I'm locking the N10 down I don't need any anti-virus.

I'll give this smart applocker mentioned above a try and see if that behaves with the N10 and android 4.2.2 and multiple users.

Upvote 0
Well, Smart AppLock is certainly better than App Lock, on my N10 with 4.2.2 I don't get the freezes that I did but there is a bad side effect of a noticeable slowing down of apps that have been restricted under another user.

I'll try the free version of AVG again as a comparison.

What would be a very smart thing for Google to do would be to include a function like this natively in android now that it has support for multiple users.

Upvote 0
Well, the 'app lock' apps are a right old mixed bunch on android 4.2.2 with more than one user setup. The best for me so far is Perfect Applock, but even that has its bugs.

So far there's not one of these types of apps I've used that does not have one bug or another, whether it's a free version or a paid one. The sooner Google themselves add a feature like this to the operating system itself the better !

One thing I have discovered though is that the developers of all of the apps either never read their email or just can't be bothered to reply to their customers. I've sent many emails and not yet had one reply, to be frank their 'customer service' is c**p.

Reactions: mrhomiec
Upvote 0
After my gripe yesterday I've had one of the app developers e-mail be back, and it pretty much turns out that their 'Users' feature is 4.2 / Jelly Bean is a little half baked...

We can not support multiple users now, because we can not know which user is active.

We will support it when Google provide the API to do this.

... so no app that's designed to lock out an app / function will be bug free until an API such as this is implemented :(

So, now to find out if Google have a way of suggesting features to them to implement in future releases...

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones