• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Q] Getting Internal & External Storage to work together

Bek

Android Expert
Apr 1, 2010
Chicago burbs
Coming from the Evo, I'm not used to having both Internal storage (8gb on the phone) and External storage (my microsd card) available to me. As I'm restoring files and data, I'm finding that numerous apps are hardcoded to only look to one filepath: /mnt/sdcard. That was fine on the Evo, as that pointed to the actual SD Card, but on the P4G, it points to the Internal storage.

Being rooted, I tried just making a simple symlink in /mnt/sdcard to /mnt/sdcard-ext but that didn't fly. And I don't want to necessarily "swap" the two by hacking whatever is the equivalent of fstab.

Thoughts on how to better manage having two data stores? Am I just going to have to get used to a new way of doing things?

The system seems to be setup at least somewhat to accomodate both storage types, such as asking if photos and videos should be stored on the internal drive or SD card. Seems to make sense to me.

I will add that there's an instability whereby apps that are stored on the media drive (equivalent to the previous store on SD card functionality) sometimes disappear from the home screen. So, it's not all rosy yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones