• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Q] Need help getting stock recovery flashed

MarcM

May 13, 2010
I have to return my phone to Asurion. I had it rooted, s-off, with the stock recovery flashed back so could receive the OTA upgrade.

Today I put back clockworkmod recovery and applied s-on. I downloaded and tried to flash the stock rom according to the 10 minute video ( http://androidforums.com/incredible...ideo-howto-unroot-incredible-downgrading.html ) put the recovery wouldn't accept it, I guessed cause I was s-on. I then applied s-off again and flashed the stock rom. The stock rom also put back the stock recovery but I was still s-off. I had to reflash CWM to apply s-on.

Now I am almost there except I have the CWM recovery. Not good :( I downloaded a couple stock recovery files but they will not flash while I am s-on.

I was advised and given a link to download a 2.1 RUU file that is an .exe. I was told to install HTC sync and run it. Either it won't run or I am not doing the right thing with it. I tried it on 2 computers- opened HTC sync, plugged in phone, chose HTC sync, got connection, tried to run the .exe. All I got was a brief dos window. I'm probably doing something wrong here. Can someone tell me how to run this? Or, can I extract the stock recovery from this and flash it? I extracted the files and the recover is in there. I was told it was all signed and legit original stock. Can anyone tell me how to do it if it is possible?

Please help me get back to stock recover, s-on!

Thanks.................mm

Yes he is and I already tried that.

Was there something wrong with the file? Should work replacing the custom recovery with the stock one.

Edit: I think I see your conundrum. Need to be s-off to flash it. Ahhhh. How did I miss that?

Question for you though. I noticed you said in the downgrade thread that the first vid failed for you. Have you tried it since you were s-on with only Clockwork remaining? What is your bootloader version?

Upvote 0
Do you know what version of hboot you were on before you used the IMG in the 2nd vid? If it were a higher version, I'm surprised you got by without the push commands. I'd really like to understand this, bet others have run into a similar roadblock.

No I don't remember. I had CWM on it though. Does that mean it had to be a higher version than the .79? When it ran it checked all the different images such as sys and hboot and it did give a wrong or missing file error. I think it may have updated enough first so that it could take the hboot image after. It's .79 now

I had tried flashing 2 different "stock" recovery images with no success.

I'm a happy camper. Diego da man!

Upvote 0
It's .79 now

I had tried flashing 2 different "stock" recovery images with no success.

Ok, I think I see now how the 2nd file worked for you. I am guessing he used a newer IMG that contained the .79 hboot. Namely, this one:

RUU_IncredibleC_Verizon_WWE_1.22.605.2_Radio_1.00.03.04.06_hboot_0.79_release_161494_NoDriver_0514.exe

If that's the case, I don't think it's truly back to stock is it? I thought 0.77 was the stock hboot but maybe I'm wrong on that or maybe some phones were released with 0.77 and later models were 0.79? That would explain some things. Whatever the case, seems to have worked out so that's great.

Upvote 0
I am at hboot .79. I downloaded the 2.1 stock recovery from Stock HTC Incredible Recovery Image Just another blog linked at xda. It will not apply via hboot. So now I am stuck getting froyo installed because I cannot get CWM off the phone. Is hboot .79 the problem? I was able to follow the process for my release date DI without problems, but this DI is only about a month old

edit. I am at s-off

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones