1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support [Q] Revolution Touchscreen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by burningembers, May 27, 2011.

1. burningembers

burningembers Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Portland, OR
    Can someone more technical than me explain why of all the Android phones on the market, the LG Revolution is the only one with touch responsiveness on-par with the iPhone?

Don't get me wrong, I love all the Android phones and tablets I own or have owned. But the touch responsiveness has always bothered me, up until today when I used an LG Revolution I thought it was the Android software.

Now...I'm pretty convinced it is a hardware thing, but I'm wondering if anybody can really confirm this? I know there are phone touchscreens on the market touted as being more technologically advanced than the ones used in Apple devices, yet, they still have this touch lag.

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement

2. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    That's pleasant surprise to hear as some folks here felt opposite, requiring a little pressure for screen to respond. I guess it's just demo units bogged down or some faulty one. So I wasn't too concerned on screen response of this phone but honestly didn't expect what you stated.

So is revolution screen is that smooth and responsive like iPhone? iOS has hardware graphic acceleration implemented in it and it's smaller OS than android overall, so it's exceptional in screen smoothness, response. I doubt LG implemented such feature into Revolution, but note that iPhone's IPS/LCD display is also from LG.

3. burningembers

None

May 1, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Portland, OR
    Of every Android device I've owned/used/tested it has the smoothest touch response and scrolling. It is like my iPod Touch or my friend's iPhone. I have no idea why...its not like the specs are phenomenal.

In googling around I learned LG tends to be pretty good at touchscreen technology developments, so maybe they've just got a good edge in this similar to Samsung's Displays or HTC's Sense UI.

4. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I expected what you are saying for LG, but the touch response on the one I tried was as weak or weaker than the Charge.

Good to hear the news and there are quite a few Android devices with good touch response. DX1, DX2, Incredible, TB, just to name a few. Agreed that earlier Android devices were lacking.

5. burningembers

None

May 1, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Portland, OR
    Went and played with LG Rev again.

I think the "pushing hard" issue is because its such a sensitive touchscreen that sometimes taps that aren't spot-on are considered tiny scrolls.

I noticed when my quick tap didn't register it was because I could see the screen was scrolling by 1-2 pixels, not much. So while its awesomely responsive for scrolling and such, it sometimes confuses that when there is an imperfect tap.

6. djembeman

djembeman Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2010
    The thing that really struck me about the LG Revolution was how fast I could scroll between home screens. I have also noticed that sometimes when I try to click/ make a selection, it actually will scroll a bit. I have to be a bit more careful. The screen has very wide viewing angles and can become very bright at the highest setting. Very good colors. I'm loving everything about this phone, except for Bing.

7. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    I finally got my hands on Revolution at my local Verizon store today. I compared it with DX2, Tbolt, Charge side by side, especially with touch screen response in mind since I saw your post earlier today. Wow, you were correct! It's super sensitive and smooth. Even compared with Tbolt, Incredible 2 using the same snapdragon 8655 it feels smoother, more responsive. I'm very impressed by the revolution! I don't know what happened with the other posters who commented hard pressure for screen response. The one I saw needed only very light touch! It's indeed very close to iPhone4. DX2 was looking pretty good in screen quality, but touch response, smoothness was a bit less than Revolution and felt jerky at times. Browsing in Revolution also felt very good on 3G. Pretty fast downloading and smooth zoom, scrolling. I was about 80/20 on Revolution vs DX2. Now it looks like 90/10.

GunnerJim likes this.
  8. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    We all must have different capacitance levels, since both the Charge and Revolution were awkward when trying to use Vpads, but the DX2 worked fine. Yes, it IS sad that I use a game emulator as the litmus test. I agree.

To me, having to touch with a near light point of pressure is not much better than being hard, but that is in regards to the Vpad litmus test. If just swiping or touching lightly for icons, I can see your point. Not practical for game emulators though and Vpads are already a challenge to use playably'. Me like emus a lot :)

The key is if you are happy with the device- outstanding! :)

GunnerJim likes this.