• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Qi/Wireless Charging vs dock

Mehta23

Android Expert
Nov 28, 2011
England,UK
gadgetblur.com
I'm getting kinda fed up having my phone and it's cable randomly place on my desk, so I started looking at some docks.
Question is, should I get a dock/cradle, or a qi/wireless charger? (I could also get a stand and carry on using the microUSB cable)
I kinda like the ease of use of the qi charger, but they're pretty expensive (unless the Palm one works) and I hear they charge pretty slowly. A normal dock is a bit cheaper, probably will charge quicker but bigger, more clunky and probably harder to take my phone out of.

Anyone had any experience with docks or chargers?

I'm getting kinda fed up having my phone and it's cable randomly place on my desk, so I started looking at some docks.
Question is, should I get a dock/cradle, or a qi/wireless charger? (I could also get a stand and carry on using the microUSB cable)
I kinda like the ease of use of the qi charger, but they're pretty expensive (unless the Palm one works) and I hear they charge pretty slowly. A normal dock is a bit cheaper, probably will charge quicker but bigger, more clunky and probably harder to take my phone out of.

Anyone had any experience with docks or chargers?

I don't have experience with wireless charging because good old Verizon disabled it on their version of Note 2 :( But I have went through a dock phase and was equally disappointed because most of the ones I looked at required either a slim case or a naked phone. Qi has more flexibility, but as you pointed out correctly it will be a lot slower and will get even worse with a thicker protective phone case because of the distance (electric field) between transmitter and receiver.

I actually talked to a few people who go frustrated with either of these solutions and end up getting a bunch of spare batteries their charge externally and just swap on their phone.

So you have a lot of choices. The easiest is to continue with original micro-usb cable, it will be the fastest and cheapest solution. Dock is bulkier and might not fit your phone with a case, but at the same time makes a nice kickstand if it works for you. Wireless is more expensive and slower so probably will work better for overnight charging. Swapping batteries works too, but you have to turn phone off/on every time you do that, plus constantly remove case and battery cover.

Upvote 0
I just got the TYLT VU wireless charger and it works great!

First off the packaging did not require a machete or ax to open. The lid of the box is held on with three round pieces of tape.

After opening the box and removing the charging stand and included power supply and cable I found that the adapter was designed to maximize space on the power strip, a nice touch.

I placed my phone on the stand in portrait orientation and it started charging without tediously sliding the phone around to align the on screen charger alignment marks. Thrilled, I decided to experiment, removed the phone and turned the phone 180 degrees and returned if to the stand. Again the phone was charging perfectly without any alignment intervention. So I wondered if it would work if the Maxx was placed in landscape orientation, yes it does and on alignment required.

I did not observe any noticeable heating of the Maxx or the charger at any time. Charging is fast and there were no issues with the charger turning on and off as the battery approaches full charge.

I am completely satisfied with the performance of this device and is perfect for the night stand or desk.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I've gone thru the dock phase as well, with my Atrix 4G. I really like the dock and all, but noticed a few downsides that I considered when upgrading to my S4. I had to remove my Outterbox Commuter case before placing in the dock. (This stretched out the silicone part of the case.) My phone only charged in landscape only. My docket only worked with my Atrix 4G and it cost over $20.

So, when I got my S4, I took the above problems into consideration. My solution was to by a cell phone stand instead. I must say, it works well and I haven't had any issues at all. These are the two stands I have. The smaller one I keep in my laptop bag and the other stays at home.

Amazon.com: iKross Universal Portable Folding Mobile Phone Stand holder - Black for Samsung and Motorola Smart phones: Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: ikross Black Universal Portable Collapsible Desk Stand holder For Smartphones, MP3 Players, iPhone: Cell Phones & Accessories

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones