1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Qik for EVO 4G Update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Essex, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Essex

Essex Android Enthusiast

Qik has updated it's video chat app. HOWEVER, it is not available in the Market. (I suspect that the update is being held up by the recent Qik/Skype merger. Not sure though. Just me speculating.)

To get the update, send an email to Qik customer support and request the update for Qik for EVO 4G. Qik will then send you the updated apk via email attachment. Just follow the instructions in the email reply and you'll be updated to the latest version of Qik!

I haven't tried it out yet but there seem to be way more audio/visual settings than in the previous versions. I'll report back with my impressions of the Qik update after I try out the video chat.

Bagua likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Android Expert

Interested in hearing how this works for you. Only thing I am personally looking forward to is skype video calls though.

3. FCGuy1579

FCGuy1579 Newbie

So anyword on the update?

4. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert

Interested as well... been using ooVoo for a while, but I'd like to see how Qik works.

Also looking forward to real Skype.

5. Essex

Essex Android Enthusiast

Alright! I've tried out the latest version of Qik and it's still a mixed bag. Better than before though. I tested on Wi-Fi, EVO to EVO, and the sound issues have been resolved! I could actually hear the person I was video chatting with. There was a bit of lag with the sound but it was clear, and audible. Definitely an improvement over the app in the Market.

On the flipside, the video quality seems to have gotten a little worse. Not dramatically so, but it's noticeable. However, I did not adjust the video settings, so perhaps the video quality can be tweaked.

Overall, I think it is a much better version than the one currently available on the Market. Visual quality on Wi-Fi is a *little* worse, but you can actually hear the person on the other end now. That said, I haven't tried it out on 3G or 4G, so I can't comment on that.

Bottom line, Video is a little worse; Sound is MUCH better. And the app is much more customizable that any of the previous versions. No force closes either. I look forward to seeing where the Qik/Skype merger will take video chat on Android. Overall, I like the app, even though there remains room for improvement. I think that if Qik released THIS app last summer, they could've has the Android video-chat game locked down. Ah well, better late than never right?

6. FCGuy1579

FCGuy1579 Newbie

Is there any way you would be able to share the .apk for the new update?

7. eieio

eieio Android Expert

I got the update on my Samsung tab and it is indeed alot better than before. My video seems improved on wifi and 4g, still sluggish and lags on 3g but the voice quality is much improved..

The picture on the 7" tab is fantastic..

Essex likes this.
  8. Essex

Essex Android Enthusiast

Just email qik support. They'll get back to you within a day. Go to the Market and search for "qik". Pick the Qik made specifically for the HTC EVO 4G. Scroll down to "Send email to developer", tap it, then fire off an email requesting the update.

Or you can just send an email to support@qik.com. Piece of cake:)

9. FCGuy1579

FCGuy1579 Newbie

Not even a minute after I posted that I received an email back from Qik with the .apk, I just gave't had a chance to try it out yet.

10. Essex

Essex Android Enthusiast

Nice! Please let us know what you think about the update. I've only tried it on Wi-Fi so far, but I'd like to use this thread to give the lurkers a relatively clear picture of the update's performance.

11. Essex

Essex Android Enthusiast

I just made a cross-country call from my EVO (Wi-Fi) to my mom's MyTouch 4G, and Qik was awesome! Video was clear; sound was audible. No disconnects. There was a little lag with the sound, but it was nothing major. For all of the lurkers in here, just go ahead and update your Qik. Stop suffering through crappy video calls with no sound and get the updated Qik from support@qik.com. Just do it. It works EVO to EVO, and EVO to MyTouch 4G.

Hopefully, some of the other folks who have tried the update can chime in with their experiences too;) Especially if you have made an EVO to EPIC call. I really like Qik now and I will be using regularly to keep in touch with my parents. Everytime I see all the one-star reviews of Qik in the Market, I just shake my head because the update (which isn't available through the Market) works perfectly fine...

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews