• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

QQ Tencent, chinese chat app

honex

Lurker
Jun 29, 2013
hi! anyone using qq to chat with chinese people? have some trouble with the newest google market version. the icon in the taskbar is gone since a few month, so i cannot see if the app is active or not. is there any setting to activate the icon again?

Aoya English was founded June, 2013. The theme is studying English in China. English teacher from England. :D

IMG_20150304_111051.jpg

Wechat QR:
IMG_20150304_110912.jpg

Wechat: MichaelDav7111
QQ: 1292169683

Upvote 0
After reading through this I have to ask now just out of curiosity, what exactly is the app designed to do, give people in China the opportunity to "practice/learn" English by random chat sessions through the app?? And more importantly, lol, is that you Mike in those stylish Bermuda shorts??? Lol.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Yes, that is I, wearing the "stylish" knock-off Ralph Lauren shorts of course. :D That's my handout, I pass around.

QQ is primarily IM and VOIP service, along the same lines as Whatsapp or Skype. It has micro-blogging as well, and other things like games, entertainment, music, etc. It's very popular with students, who group together for English sessions, and also anyone who wishes to study Chinese. I use it a lot for staying in contact, as well as conducting and promoting my business, along with Wechat. The business is me and two brothers as partners, who've become very good friends, both work in local government, which can be useful. It's not only English lessons, we're starting to do visa application assistance as well, for US, Canada, UK, etc.

Reactions: hiredgun
Upvote 0
Didn't expect the "real deal" on a teachers Salary Mike, lol, but still "stylish" for sure! Lol. So when the students group together for English lessons do they do it with people already on their contact list like Whatsapp, or are there "chat rooms" like Yahoo used to have where you can go in and just strike up a conversation with WHOMever?

Upvote 0
It's both, mainly it is chat rooms that anyone can find and join, many you have to request to join and are moderated, to try and keep the idiots, trolls and spammers out. Also can setup a group chat with your known contacts.

That's QQ "English only" chat rooms or groups on my phone:
qq.jpg

The primary rule in most of them is, you must use English, no Chinese. Also many have close ties with academic institutions, such as Shenzhen University in Guangdong Province, near Hong Kong.

Orignally QQ was Chinese only, but there's the QQ International now, which is in English.
http://reg.imqq.com/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd be glad to help if you need it Mike just let me know. And NO worries, I'm from California, EVERYONE understands me DUDE!!! I wouldn't use Funky though, I don't even understand half the stuff he WRITES, lol!:D

Never know, I want to get some international online going in the summer, so might need volunteers. :) In fact "'merican" is what they teach in schools, and students often do find it easier to undestand VOA rather than BBC. "joisey" they might have difficulty with, LOL ...dialects and accents are for advanced students.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones