• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Quadrant Scores?

One click lag fix (OCLF) here too and i just ripped off a 2208. The phone is noticeably faster when doing just about everything. Definitely worth the effort.

Worth the effort until the dangers of the OCLF bite you and you end up with data corruption or a bricked phone.

All the lagfixes are "dirty" and come with nasty side-effects. The method used in OCLF is particularly dangerous (ext2, filesystem virtualization layer, etc) and vulnerable to really Bad Things going wrong.

Sure, your phone feels really fast now... but at what cost/risk? People are just casually installing lagfixes with absolutely no idea what they're really doing to their phones and the implications. "one click" doesn't mean "safe".

Upvote 0
umm....one week running OCLF and i have zero problems with my phone. i'm not sure what you mean about dirty tricks or whatever....but my experience has been nothing but positive so far.

i read through the entire OCLF thread on XDA before i decided to try it on my phone. i think the majority of people having problems are either ones who botch the install or have already modded the software on their phones and them install OCLF. my phone was completely stock and i installed everything according to instructions, and had zero issues.

maybe i'm just lucky....but i don't think so. i just ran quadrant again and got a score of 2252, so things are still looking good.

Upvote 0
I think @sremick's main point is for those who use the lag fixes need to read through the forums and especially the developers' posts before doing so. If you have and have weighed the options/consequences then you apply the fix in full knowledge of what MIGHT happen and deem the risk worthwhile, and so shouldn't complain if the internal SD gets fried. He is not saying bad things will definitely happen, just that they can, and the way these fixes work can sometimes fry the SD card (internal or external) or whatever it is using to reroute allocation through. It is the same as flashing ROMS really (especially back in the G1 days), in the early days a fried SD card was always a possibility that loomed with each flash and application of "swap" space...

All he and others are saying is to be careful, conscientious, and know that just because something has been made easy that doesn't mean it is bulletproof.

Example and a small tirade/background discourse:
Just today at my local ATT store a guy was buying an Aria and a Captivate, and he asked the associate about "root" to make the phone better, but had no clue what "root" even meant (he made the usual comparison to "jail-breaking" the iPhone, and the associate agreed with him)! I politely (as well as I could) went over and explained Linux, then Android, then what Root and Super-User mean, and the potential vulnerabilities associated with it, and gave several forums that I told him he needed to read before even thinking about it, and all he said when I was done was to ask if it will make the phone faster/better. The issue here is like driving without giving an official driving test- most of the people will eventually figure it out and get moving, but at what cost in the meanwhile to their own "vehicle"? I am really torn between whether "one-click root" should ever have been made for this reason, it distances the consumer from what they are doing with their phone, and creates the potentiality of major issues down the road; on the other hand, it makes it accessible to people who are not programmers/developers (like me) and who might not have the time to learn the ins and outs (but therein lies the problem). It is like a car that someone buys, has a new souped-up engine dropped in it, with no mechanical know-how or background knowledge on the engine or the car as a whole now. They can't get the dealer to fix it, they can't fix it, so they have to rely on others to fix everything, and it only creates tension when and if there ever is an issue with performance.
While I think rooting/modding is a wonderful option that all phones/operating systems should have, I am worried that it is becoming trendy and little-understood by those who want/seek it.

sorry that got a bit long-winded

Upvote 0
umm....one week running OCLF and i have zero problems with my phone.

I never said everyone who ran a lagfix would experience problems, or experience them immediately.

i'm not sure what you mean about dirty tricks or whatever....
That means you have no idea what OCLF is actually doing to your phone and how it's creating these artificially-high Quadrant scores. Which is a sign that you probably shouldn't be installing it.

but my experience has been nothing but positive so far.
One week... which is like one pull of the trigger during Russian Roulette.

i think the majority of people having problems are either ones who botch the install or have already modded the software on their phones and them install OCLF.
That's certainly one way a lagfix can fail catastrophically. There are plenty of others that surface when something else happens which on a stock phone might only cause a minor problem or no problem at all, but on a phone with a lagfix cause much more-serious issues.

maybe i'm just lucky....but i don't think so. i just ran quadrant again and got a score of 2252, so things are still looking good.
If you think Quadrant scores mean anything in regards to lag fixes, then it's further evidence you should be doing more reading and research before hacking up your phone.

He is not saying bad things will definitely happen, just that they can ...
All he and others are saying is to be careful, conscientious, and know that just because something has been made easy that doesn't mean it is bulletproof.

Bingo. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones