• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Quality charger cords?

I've been buying the 2amp monoprice cords from amazon, but they wear out extremely quickly. The little metal prongs that stick out of the back side of the micro USB plug seem to push in. Then the charger just falls out of the phone when a gentle breeze blows.

They are cheap and under warranty, but I'm tired of dealing with them.

It's there anything out there that's better? Of course I prefer cheap since we keep two charges in almost every room. LOL but not quality is a priority.

Help please! :)

It's not the cables, it's the microUSB connectors. And, unfortunately, it's supposed to be a ubiquitous - and cheap - connector. The best quality connectors I've seen sound like something that, if I were to use the word I'm thinking of, I'd be barred from this forum forever. And most of them don't come anywhere near that quality. (Even one of my original Samsung cables was so cheaply made that the plastic housing on the micro end fell off the cable. Nothing broke, the pieces just fell off.)

The industry tried to come up with a single unified cable that everyone could use. (If you had cellphones long enough ago, you'll remember that some manufacturers had 3, 4 or 5 different types of connector - and that was for one manufacturer.) They just picked a really crappy connector design to go with, IMO. There are probably high school kids who could come up with better designs. (But they'd cost 3 cents more to make, and when you multiply that by the number we buy every year ... And who cares if the customer has to spend $20 every month to replace the cable and $300 every couple of years to replace the motherboard? Three cents is three cents.)

Reactions: JAJameson2010
Upvote 0
I do remember when each phone brand had a different cable! I would have preferred that...

What part are the micro USB connectors? Is that on the phone or cord? I tried Google and am still confused.

My other cables for my previous phones didn't do this... When the micro USB thing first came out I had a Motorola and the charging was awesome.

I guess maybe I'll try picking up a cable locally and see if that works better for me :-(

Thanks for the info!

Upvote 0
+1 for Monoprice. But you need to get these cables. For $1.41 they have 28AWG wire for data and 24AWG thicker wire for power so you can charge at full 2A speed, and also ferrite filter core and gold plated non-corroding connectors where micro-usb one has little latching hooks. Been using these for many years at home, in my car, and at work. Most of the other fancy cables use thin PC wires rated for 500mA USB2 connection, that creates a bottleneck in your charging speed.

Reactions: JAJameson2010
Upvote 0
Thanks! I just ordered those. They really got me on shipping :-( I paid over $12! I know that could have fit in a flat rate envelope for $5... Really hoping this will work out nicely.

I have these and I'm not sure if they are different than the link you gave.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006GHAMPE/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_5mQOsb0FXDR7N

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I have bought several of these chargers for charging all kinds of devices from Androids to Kindles to iPads and iPhones all mixed together and they work great.

I can't say enough about these cables either. Great snug fit and flexible/tangle free.

Both products are great quality and priced right. I use them both at home and for travel.

Not sure why Tapatalk didn't show my this response earlier this morning... I was able to cancel the order of the other cables, which I think is just the black colored cables that I have now.

I'm going to order the $2.99 cables and hope for the best. Thanks so much!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones