• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Quality of video sent as a text attachment

Hello Everyone!

I wonder if anyone else has this issue and/or can provide insight as to why it is happening. I can shoot video on my phone that is crystal clear, but when I send it as an attachment via text message (even if there is no actual text to the message), it becomes grainy like a very old VHS tape when I go back and watch it from within the text message. The recipient concurs that the quality is poor. But when I send the video as an email attachment, the quality is fine.

I have received videos as text attachments from the recipient listed above, and those videos have much better quality. though not as clear as if they were sent via email. They have an iPhone, so I am wondering if it is a quality difference between Apple and Samsung, our two carriers, or if I need to do something different to improve the quality of the video before I attempt to text it as an attachment.

Any advice would be most welcome-Thanks! :)

Video texts (MMS) are heavily compressed when sending because most/all carriers have a size limit for messages.

Check your messaging apps settings, some allow you to set the maximum size of MMS so you might be able to increase the quality a little. But if it's over the limit the carrier might not send it, or compress it further.

If your messaging app doesn't have that setting you can use Textra:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.textra

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones