• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Quality reduced when uploading from Photos to Drive

connorhawke

Mar 4, 2018
I notice some media are reduced in quality when uploaded from Photos to Drive via my Pixel. For example, whereas a 3.5 MB photo remained the same, another 2.4 MB photo was reduced to 1.7 MB on both upload attempts. On using a photo viewer to compare the two versions, I can see the differences.

However, when using a laptop to download the synced photo from Photos then uploading to Drive, quality was preserved.

Is there a setting I missed to ensure original quality is preserved when uploading from Photos to Drive via Android, or is this another case of Google thinking we won't care and/or notice if quality is significantly reduced?

Edit: think I found the reason (but not the reason for the reason): quality is reduced when sharing from Photos to Drive a photo that has not been downloaded to the device (i.e. currently only on Cloud), but if the photo is first downloaded to the device and then shared, there is no quality reduction.

Last edited:
Reactions: puppykickr
Using a web browser, log into your Google Photos account at:
https://photos.google.com
and in the Settings (gear icon upper menu bar), there's an Upload section with size options

Original quality
Store photos & videos with no change to their quality

Storage saver
Store more at a slightly reduced quality

The same used to be in the Google Photos app buried in its settings menu too but I didn't see it when I just checked. Google recently made a major policy change on storage fees and such so changes to the app's options are expected.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
It seems that you have found the workaround, and congrats for that.

The reason for the reason?

Google.

And that is the reason that I have the very least amount of Google as is possible on my devices.

The funny thing is, even with these issues, iPhone is still worse.

Using a web browser, log into your Google Photos account at:
https://photos.google.com
and in the Settings (gear icon upper menu bar), there's an Upload section with size options

Original quality
Store photos & videos with no change to their quality

Storage saver
Store more at a slightly reduced quality

The same used to be in the Google Photos app buried in its settings menu too but I didn't see it when I just checked. Google recently made a major policy change on storage fees and such so changes to the app's options are expected.

Was and is on Original Quality. The issue I mentioned seems to be a bug or undesired discrepancy.

Upvote 0
Is it possible that the file is being compressed to the maximum resolution of your device?
My Pixel shot the photos in that resolution and can display the Original Quality version of those photos just fine; and the photos, when shared from Photos to Drive, retain original quality if already downloaded to my Pixel, but suffer compression if not. The dimensions (e.g. 3024x4032) remain constant in either case.

As I find more issues like these, I might have to eventually retract my statement about iPhone still being worse!

Upvote 0
So, at this point I would want to test other cloud storage to see if results differ.

Try this one that offers 100GB of free cloud storage to compare and see if compression occurs.

https://degoo.com/
Degoo seems buggy like when I tried it a few years ago. I uploaded a photo and it did not appear. Nonetheless I tried DropBox and yes compression still occurred, again when not downloaded to device but not when downloaded to device. The bug/issue is it is programmed to compress when sharing a photo via Photos that is only on the Cloud (not downloaded to the device), and is not dependent on the service being uploaded to.

Upvote 0
Degoo seems buggy like when I tried it a few years ago. I uploaded a photo and it did not appear. Nonetheless I tried DropBox and yes compression still occurred, again when not downloaded to device but not when downloaded to device. The bug/issue is it is programmed to compress when sharing a photo via Photos that is only on the Cloud (not downloaded to the device), and is not dependent on the service being uploaded to.

Depending on your needs, the best solution may be to just save the photos to a desktop. I picked up a 4T Toshiba external drive online for less than ninety bucks, run an ssh and sftp server, and forward port 22. I upload photos manually, but I can do that from anywhere. I'm quite sure I could write a script to automate the process, but I don't really care, besides, I choose what goes and what doesn't. The drive itself is slow af, but it's only job is storage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones