1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Quattro Bricked? Flash Recovery from Calibration

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ahdunno, Mar 28, 2013.

1. ahdunno

ahdunno Newbie

IMPORTANT! If you're reading this, it may already be too late, but I advise anyone attempting to do any flashing to copy the flash_image binary to the /system/ bin/ directory before any flashing. It can save some headaches later if something goes wrong. If you're using a flash utility that reads the image from the sdcard, copy the stock image to /data/local/ as well. Then it's already there if you need to flash from calibration mode.

First and foremost, I want to make clear that unbricking of my Quattro would never have happened without the help from zimlokks and his original thead:
    [Test][WIP!][Back to Stock!] Restore Phone via Calibration mode.

I recommend you go there and read it and thank him as well. It only takes a second to click on the Thanks button and it's just plain common courtesy for this and many other forums.
    It may be confusing at 1st, as he and I posted back and forth while he helped me with this. As such, there has been a request for a more detailed guide. I have no intention of stealing his thunder and as I understand, he's talking of developing a script that would render this guide moot, and actually, I hope that materializes. So, here goes:

All the following was done in Windows 7 64bit in an Administrator account. I don't have Linux or Mac, so I have no idea on how to do it in those OS's.

Required downloads:

Quattro drivers from coolpadamericas.com
    http://coolpadamericas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/5860E_driver_setup.exe

Android SDK package (Select the appropriate version for either 32 or 64 bit Windows)

zimlokks' flash_image binary (Make sure to Thank him.)

killcmd's Quattro Stock Images
    Boot, system and recovery images.
    (Be sure to Thank him.)

Read this on XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1049102
    Download Android Control app from XDA Dvelopers Forum (I'm a Noob and didn't know how to copy files to the phone via adb console. This helped me a lot. If you're good with the adb console you won't need this.)

#1 Install the Quattro drivers. I already had mine installed, so I'm not quite sure how it will go in Calibration mode.
    Calibration mode is started by holding the volume down button on your phone while tapping the power button for a second or two. Plug the USB cable in and let Windows install the drivers.

#2 Extract the zip file SDK package. Once done, navigate to adt-bundle-windows...>sdk. There will be a folder named "platform-tools"
    For ease in following this guide, copy that folder to you C:\ drive and rename it sdk.

#3 Extract the Android Control zip file. Copy the folder :AndroidControl" to your C:\ drive.

#4 Go to the sdk folder and copy adb.exe and fastboot.exe (Hold the Ctrl key as you select each, then right click and copy)
    Paste those 2 files in the AndroidControl folder. (Overwrite the existing ones)

#5 For ease of use, copy zimlokks' flash_image binary to C:\ (root directory)

#6 Extract killcmd's Backup. Copy the recovery.img to C:\ (Ease of use again)

Important:
    Pull the battery after trying a procedure, wait a bit and then replace your battery and try a normal boot.
    This may hasten your results.

Note: If you try a procedure and it doesn't work, you can retry the procedure using an administrator "Command Prompt"
    Do so by right clicking "Command Prompt" and select "Run as administrator" from the menu.

Also, some tips on the Android Control app:
    In the "General" tab, there is a "Start server" button. DO NOT USE THIS!
    It's important to start the daemon/server via the command console using the command
    " adb devices ". The daemon/server in Android Control is outdated
    In the "Advanced" menu, there is an option for "Shell". DO NOT USE!

Another tip on command prompt use:
    Navigate to Command Prompt: Start> All Programs> Accessories Right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Pin to Start Menu"
    This makes it easier to find and use. It'll be at the top left menu when you click your Window's start button.

Now, I'll list the procedures I tried. Note that ultimately it worked, but I'm not exactly clear on which did, as I didn't pull the battery and attempt to boot normally each time. I'm not willing to brick my phone again to determine which one worked.

*Procedure 1: **********************
    Launch "Command Prompt"

Type cd c:\sdk

Type adb devices (This starts the adb daemon/server)

You should see this:
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    List of devices attached
    Coolpad_5860E device

Type adb shell (Should see $)

Type su (Should see #)

Type mount -o rw,remount -t auto Coolpad_5860E /system

Note: If you previously placed flash_image in your phone's /system/bin, you can skip this next step and try flashing with the existing binary.
    Now go to AndroidControl Folder (DO NOT CLOSE COMMAND PROMPT) and launch AndroidControl.exe
    In the General tab, bottom left, you'll use "Copy to device"
    In the top form, "Select file on PC...", browse to C:\ and select flash_image
    In the second form type /system/bin/
    Now click copy... Should see a success message.

Return to the command console
    Type chmod 777 /system/bin/flash_image
    If sucessful, your command string should be echoed.
    If you get an error message, repeat the steps above using the "Run as Administrator option for Command Prompt.

Next, go to the "Flashing" tab in Android Control, top right, browse to C;\ and select recovery.img
    Click "Flash Recovery Image" If the phone doesn't reboot, go to "General" tab, top right and click "Reboot Phone" (At one point, Android Control stopped responding for me. If this happens, right click on your task bar and start Task Manager. You can end the process and close Android Control from there.)

You should see activity on the phone.
    Unplug the USB and remove battery, wait a bit, replace battery and try normal boot.

I'll post other procedures later. This is just a quick start, and I've got an hour in it already.

OK, about 3:30 AM, but continuing on 'cause I know I was on the edge of my seat awaiting responses from zimlokks when I was trying to flash my phone.

* Procedure 2 *************************
    This assumes you already copied flash_image t
    o /system/bin/ from procedure 1.

Start cmd console

Type cd c:\sdk

Type adb devices (This starts the adb daemon/server)

You should see this:
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    List of devices attached
    Coolpad_5860E device
    (If the daemon is already started you may not see all these lines. It is critical that you see the last line)

Type adb shell (Should see $)

Type su (Should see #)

Type mount -o rw,remount -t auto Coolpad_5860E /system

Now go to AndroidControl Folder (DO NOT CLOSE COMMAND PROMPT) and launch AndroidControl.exe
    In the General tab, bottom left, you'll use "Copy to device"
    In the top form, "Select file on PC...", browse to C:\ and select recovery.img
    In the second form type /data/local/
    Now click copy... Should see a success message.

Return to the command console
    Type chmod 777 /system/bin/flash_image

Type chmod 777 /data/local/recovery.img

Type flash_image recovery /data/local/recovery.img
    (Should echo) flash_image recovery /data/local/recovery.img

You may have gotten an error message... ignore and continue

Type ^C (hold Ctrl key and type C... exits su mode

Then the line will read:
    C:\sdk>

Type adb reboot

Phone should reboot, still hangs. Pull Battery, wait, reinstall, boot normal.

Again if it is still bricked, repeat the procedure running cmd prompt as administrator.

OK... Last procedure. This assumes flash_image and recovery.img have already been copied to the phone.

C:\sdk>adb shell
    $ su
    su
    # mount -o rw,remount -t auto Coolpad_5860E /system
    mount -o rw,remount -t auto Coolpad_5860E /system (echo)

# chmod 777 /system/bin/flash_image
    chmod 777 /system/bin/flash_image (echo)

# chmod 777 /data/local/recovery.img
    chmod 777 /data/local/recovery.img (echo)

# ^C (Ctrl + C keys)

C:\sdk>adb shell flash_image recovery /data/local/recovery.img
    error writing recovery: Permission denied (I got this error... ignore)

C:\sdk>adb reboot

Phone should reboot.
    Pull battery, wait, reinstall, try normal boot. It is at this point that my phone booted normally.
    Note, however that in all previous attempts, I did not pull the battery and try booting normally,
    so a prior procedure may work for you.

Again, if the last procedure has not fixed your phone, try running cmd prompt as administrator and repeat the commands.

Advertisement

LilBit, zimlokks and Kaiser17 like this.
  2. Kaiser17

Kaiser17 Android Enthusiast

Thanks for this, going to try it once I get off from work tonight.

3. zimlokks

zimlokks Android Expert

+1 For sticky! this is what i came for, to(kinda) help yu guys unbrick for experimenting, therefore im leaving this side of the world, i will miss yu guys and i hope u crack that dam recovery and have a hella of time flashing!

edit: im working on the script(s) i dont have alot of knowledge about this so prepare for errors but over all, my main focus is on windows xp, vista, 7 nd NOT 8! cuz im not sure how 8 works nd sure it's different.

zjw131313 and ahdunno like this.
  4. capfl2k5

capfl2k5 Newbie

Hey guys. So I just got the quattro from my brother its looping through the metro pcs screen over and over. When I plug it in to my usb port in calibration mode all the drivers install except adb. There are no unknown devices in the device manager. Is this thing screwed or am I missing something simple? And can someone post the hardware id for the adb interface from devcie manager.

5. ahdunno

ahdunno Newbie

Read thru the original post. adb is part of the sdk download. Once you open a command prompt, cd (change directory) to the directory where you placed the platform tools of the sdk, then start adb by typing adb devices. That starts the adb daemon/server and finds the device.

I don't believe it will be in windows device manager or devices and printers while in calibration mode. You see that when you plug it in once it boots normally.

6. capfl2k5

capfl2k5 Newbie

I have the sdk installed and used adb before to root my tablet. The problem is that the computer doesn't see it. When I run the adb devices command I have none listed. Thats why I was asking about there being no adb interface listed in device manager.

7. ahdunno

ahdunno Newbie

Try plugging in your tablet or the Ascend to see if they're found. Just to make sure your adb is still working.

8. capfl2k5

capfl2k5 Newbie

Yeah the tablet and my phone show up just fine. Oh I need to change my device I havent had the ascend in ages. I have rebooted my computer, killed the server and restarted it nothing is working for me.

9. ahdunno

ahdunno Newbie

I have no idea then. I'm no expert. You might try asking nthaniel. He mentioned flashing in calibration mode in the cwm developement thread.

10. zimlokks

zimlokks Android Expert

the usb cable should b the original one from the quattro...other usbs may be flakey hardware wise....

ahdunno likes this.
  11. nthaniel

nthaniel Member

6:24am and just waking up, so I can't offer anything productive yet, but I wanted you to know I saw this! :)

12. ahdunno

ahdunno Newbie

I know cables can make a difference. I bought my phone used and it came with a really short one. The data connection fails if I use one of my other long ones.

13. jasonzech

jasonzech Android Enthusiast

You know. After having the quattro for two weeks I've decided to give it to my
    Sister and I went ahead and bought a LG Spirit 4G!! Love this Phone!!!!!!!!! Rooted, custom rom'd it. Now just waiting for someone to crack the locked bootloader. So as of now I'll let the quattro my sisters nightmare. Good luck everyone.

14. zimlokks

zimlokks Android Expert

use or buy a quality usb cable, sometimes thats all u need. i suggest to buy a new one at a local store(radioshack etc)

15. killcmd

killcmd Well-Known Member

Enables SD Card for anyone who cares.
    mount -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard

16. zimlokks

zimlokks Android Expert

Hey, well my computer crashed and i cant fix it, i cant build the script anytime soom but i think i wont. My apologies to anyone waiting for the script.

17. chevy372

chevy372 Newbie

any ideas why adb would show the get-state output as unknown even with the drivers installed? when i start adb it shows a blank line for devices connected, but it does register in via modem mode, while not in recovery.

18. zimlokks

zimlokks Android Expert

Have no idea, if anything i think its time for the Coolpad to die off, MetroPCS stopped selling them. Not alot of people got there hands on the Coolpad

19. chevy372

chevy372 Newbie

i went out and spent $300 on a new spirit 4g, i'll use this as a paper weight.