1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Question about Android in China

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Olafsand, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Olafsand

Olafsand Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Hi,
    I've bought the Optimus P503 in China, which from what I've heard is the same phone as the P500. I've tried to download both Skype, Google Translate and Maps from both Androidzoom.com, market.android.com and appbrain.com. When pressing the download button at androidzoom nothing happens. At market.android.com i get the message like most others "There are no Android phones associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account.", while it does not seem like my phone have access to appbrain.com :( Anyone knows a way to get these applications/programs from China?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Advertisement

2. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Appbrain also doesn't work for me in China. I think it might be blocked or filtered here.

Also, I don't believe you can download directly from Android Zoom. I think it only links to the appropriate app on the market.

However, the Android Market works fine for me in China (other than some apps not being available here that are available to US/European users).

You should be able to download Google Translate. I don't think you can use Skype here. (I wasn't able to install it while in China, but I downloaded it while in the US and it still works here.) Maps also is not in the market for China users.

Have you setup a gmail account on your phone? I have heard that you must use a gmail account to use the market. If you have a gmail account already on your phone, try this:

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/280140-no-android-device-associated-account.html

3. Olafsand

Olafsand Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Thank you for your fast answer amlothi. I have Android Market installed on my phone, but it's nothing more than around 100 apps there, only chinese, and most of them have something to do with QQ or baidu.

Looks like I just have to take the plane back to Europe, install the apps I want and then head back to China hehe. It's really frustrating though, most of the Chinese I know here have an iphone. They have both google translate, maps and Skype. Looks like android is not the best choice when you're in China.

Have tried to add my phone number to the Gmail account several times, with no success.

Also strange, when using the phone to search for Google map or translate at market.android.com a whole bunch of programs related to maps or translation shows up, except these two.

4. NaturalNine

NaturalNine Lurker
    None

Feb 8, 2011
    I am in China currently (Shenzhen to be exact), and I use a HTC Desire HD.

The choice of apps available to you on the Market depends on 2 things that I know of:

1) The country your SIM card is from, and
    2) The model of your phone

My Desire HD has a China SIM card in it, and I can access most apps, BUT no paid applications (and no Skype and other China-restricted apps). My Galaxy Tab has a Singapore SIM card in it, and can access the full range of apps (paid, Skype, etc). Both are in China right now.

Thus, I believe the issue should be the phone you are using not able to see the rest of the apps?

Edit: By 'most apps', I mean I can see pretty much every app that my Galaxy Tab can see, except the paid ones.

5. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've recently installed Market Enabler and can confirm that it works for me in China. I can now access paid apps and provider specific apps for Verizon/T-Mobile in the US.