1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Question about Android SDK Tools

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by CrimsonToker, Feb 4, 2016.

1. CrimsonToker

CrimsonToker Android Expert

Actually, two questions:

1) I can use SDK to reset to factory, correct? Like running an RUU?
    2) Does my phone need to stay in fastboot mode?

Having trouble with the phone rebooting itself. I've posted a couple of questions about this in my phone's specific forum, HTC One M8, but no one has helped...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Hey, @CrimsonToker, no the SDK (assuming you're speaking of Google's Android SDK) will do nothing for helping you reset to factory.

There are tools (like fastboot and adb) in the platform-tools folder of the SDK that might be helpful if that's what you're referring to, but there's not RUU-like utility or function/feature in the SDK that would normally be helpful to you in the way you describe.

Other than that, I'm afraid that I don't have any HTC One M8 specific advice for you, though...:(

3. CrimsonToker

CrimsonToker Android Expert

My only issue is the fact that i cannot enter recovery mode, because it just reboots itself instead. if not for that i could fix this phone myself. It's stuck in boot loop, but with no recovery mode, i dont know what to do...

Thank you for clarifying for me, Scary Alien

scary alien likes this.
  4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Ah, well I might be able to help you with that...(emphasis on might, though).

If you've previously enabled USB debugging, you might be able to get your device to respond to an "adb reboot recovery" command (provided it's connected to your PC via a USB cable).

You don't need the full SDK to find the fastboot and/or adb utilities as we've got our ADB Guide thread and post #2 contains the "mini-sdk": http://androidforums.com/attachments/sdk-tools-zip.77466/ (a .zip file that contains the utilities for the PC, Mac, and Linux).

Also, this thread says that you can enter recovery mode on your HTC One M8 via:

This method requires you to use hardware keys combination.
      1. First thing that you need to do is to go to Settings, then Battery and uncheck the option that says FASTBOOT.
      2. Power off the smartphone now.
      3. Wait ten seconds until the HTC One M8 is powered off completely.
      4. Now, press and hold Volume Down button, press Power to switch on the phone but don’t release the Volume Down key.
        – the Bootloader Mode will load now.
    1. Select RECOVERY option from all the Bootloader options, select it and press Power to boot Recovery Mode.
    Also, this thread also details that:

and finally, this:

Cheers!

Mikestony likes this.
  5. saltire

saltire Android Expert

Oops yeah, sorry I meant to come back to you in the M8 sub-forum sooner. Did stick a reply in there now if you're still struggling. Still not sure if it is a broken power switch that's going to hamper a fix? We don't want a random long power press happening in the middle of flashing something critical.

scary alien likes this.