• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Question about app data and storage

writhum

Nov 10, 2009
Central NY
Recently I downloaded a home-makover app called 'Home++'. In the Home++ desktop gallery there is a background that I love, and I can't find anywhere online. I would like to do some HSB edits to the picture, but I can't seem to find it in the phone's filesystem. Does anyone know where the default place for an app to store data is? I've looked through the SD and ROM and can't seem to find it.

Recently I downloaded a home-makover app called 'Home++'. In the Home++ desktop gallery there is a background that I love, and I can't find anywhere online. I would like to do some HSB edits to the picture, but I can't seem to find it in the phone's filesystem. Does anyone know where the default place for an app to store data is? I've looked through the SD and ROM and can't seem to find it.

It's most likely stored as a resource in R.java belonging to that app. This is an interesting idea and if there is a way to extract files from R.java I'd be interested in learning about it too.

This might sound crazy but I bet the APK files aren't compressed so you could potentially open the app (apk) in a hex editor, locate the JPG header (......JFIF) and then extract the image jpg manually. The size of the JPG is stored in the header (6 bytes in front of the JFIF tag I think) so you could also calculate how many bytes after the header you need to grab.

Even apk are compressed, just find a way to decompress it and go after your picture.

If none of this makes sense I might have time to take a whack at it if you send me the apk.

I wrote a VB program that does this back in the day. I might be able to reuse some code.

Upvote 0
It's most likely stored as a resource in R.java belonging to that app. This is an interesting idea and if there is a way to extract files from R.java I'd be interested in learning about it too.

This might sound crazy but I bet the APK files aren't compressed so you could potentially open the app (apk) in a hex editor, locate the JPG header (......JFIF) and then extract the image jpg manually. The size of the JPG is stored in the header (6 bytes in front of the JFIF tag I think) so you could also calculate how many bytes after the header you need to grab.

Even apk are compressed, just find a way to decompress it and go after your picture.

If none of this makes sense I might have time to take a whack at it if you send me the apk.

I wrote a VB program that does this back in the day. I might be able to reuse some code.

Sounds like really cool stuff. A little advanced for me, but I'll play around with it...seems like a good thing to know how to do. I'll hit you up with the apk in a few.

http://hpp.intuitit.mobi/Launcher.apk?attredirects=0

Upvote 0
I just did a little experiment with one of my apps. I took the apk file and renamed it to .zip and then extracted it. All the drawable resources were neatly placed into res/drawable. Looks like that's all you have to do.

Now here's the real question: once extracted, how can I convert back to .apk? Would it require the sdk?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones