1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General question about app startup

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stoney bones, Jan 3, 2012.

1. stoney bones

stoney bones Member
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    So, when using a program like ATK (auto task killer) you can close apps running in the background. Great app...except, all the apps seem to restart by themselves randomly. How is this occuring? Is there a way to stop it?

Advertisement

2. doogald

doogald Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    This happens because the apps are registered as services that should always be running.

Task killer apps are ok to have for the rare occasions when a runaway app will not stop, but automatic task killing saves you no battery, probably costs you battery life instead (because you are taking an app that was inactive and making it restart itself and become active again). Were you having a problem that the ATK solved, or did you read somewhere that you should have one of these apps so installed it?

A good article that talks about this is here: Fresh Rom – CDMA Android Development FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

3. stoney bones

stoney bones Member
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    i get mad when my phone has 500 somthing mb of memory and i only average around 3xx free. thats right at start up. i do not like the fact that every flippin app or service has to be always running it seems.

just like on a pc when your not running a single program, just looking your desktop and your computer has 75% of its ram taken up in background processes. its annoying.

4. doogald

doogald Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    Android is not windows and the amount of free ram is less important on Linux kernel based OSes compared with Windows kernel systems.

I know that i keep posting links to articles, but this is another good one. the tl;dr is the headline:

RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

So, executive summary: stop worrying about it and use your phone, unless your phone is lagging like crazy. It probably is not. My Droid3 regularly has between 50 and 75 MB free RAM at any given moment and it basically runs as fast as the Bionic (it lags a bit more at times.)