• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about apps that only run on certain android versions.

Okay, so in example Instagram.

Quote from their website.
You can run Instagram on any camera phone with Android 2.2 or above with support for OpenGL ES 2, as well as tablets with support for OpenGL ES 2....

I have a HTC Droid Eris, and the last update for them was 2.1. I am running CM7 and now im '2.3.7.'

My question is: Is it the hardware that makes it able to run these newer apps or is it still possible to run them?, because even now that im 2.3 it wont let me find them in Google Play.

Do ROMs really update your phone or is it all just an illusion? Haha.
Sorry if wrong spot. I didnt know if it should go in Root or Apps. But its an app question so yeah.:thinking:

Is it the hardware that makes it able to run these newer apps or is it still possible to run them?, because even now that im 2.3 it wont let me find them in Google Play.

It's the hardware identification; the handset will still be recognised as an Eris and as that was never officially updated beyond 2.1 then apps requiring more recent versions will be filtered out by the Play Store.

Having said that, there may be a way around this on a rooted handset. That's something to ask about in the HTC Droid Eris - All Things Root sub-forum though, as users there are most likely to know whether or not it's possible.

Upvote 0
It's the hardware identification; the handset will still be recognised as an Eris and as that was never officially updated beyond 2.1 then apps requiring more recent versions will be filtered out by the Play Store.

Having said that, there may be a way around this on a rooted handset. That's something to ask about in the HTC Droid Eris - All Things Root sub-forum though, as users there are most likely to know whether or not it's possible.

Okay I'll ask. i started here because barely anyone watches it im guessing cause this phone is so old. Thank you.

From what I can find of the Droid Eris Specs, it doesn't have a GPU, so basically, it is not capable of OpenGL support, so no instagram no matter what you do AFAIK.

Is GPU hardware?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones