• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about AT&T's network

f1-cobra

Jun 28, 2010
My wife and I are currently out of contract on AT&T and I really want to get the Captivate. She really wants a Motorola Droid, but I didn't want to switch to Verizon. I'd rather have the Captivate than the Fascinate and she wants a slider phone and hates all the ones at AT&T.

My question is that I found that there is a Motorola Milestone (Droid in Canada) and it seems that it runs on GSM: 850/900/1800/1900Mhz 3G: HSDPA 900/2100Mhz. If I order one of these for her from Best Buy Canada, will it work on AT&T's network? Will she be able to get voice and data?

My wife and I are currently out of contract on AT&T and I really want to get the Captivate. She really wants a Motorola Droid, but I didn't want to switch to Verizon. I'd rather have the Captivate than the Fascinate and she wants a slider phone and hates all the ones at AT&T.

My question is that I found that there is a Motorola Milestone (Droid in Canada) and it seems that it runs on GSM: 850/900/1800/1900Mhz 3G: HSDPA 900/2100Mhz. If I order one of these for her from Best Buy Canada, will it work on AT&T's network? Will she be able to get voice and data?

Not AT&T's 3G network according to the 900/2100MHz you listed. It'll need 3G on 850MHz & 1900MHz.

Upvote 0
Well, that's no good. I was so close. lol.

Does anybody know of a good Android qwerty smartphone that will work on AT&T's network, 3G included? I wouldn't subject my worst enemy to the Backflip.:D

I just took a quick look at the Milestone available on Best Buy Canada, and it's listed as UMTS 850/1900. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that means it should work on AT&T's 3G network.

Considering it's a Telus Milestone, and I'm fairly certain Telus uses the same bands as AT&T, that fact, along with the UMTS 850/1900 bands listed, makes me think you should be okay.

Upvote 0
I just took a quick look at the Milestone available on Best Buy Canada, and it's listed as UMTS 850/1900. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that means it should work on AT&T's 3G network.

Considering it's a Telus Milestone, and I'm fairly certain Telus uses the same bands as AT&T, that fact, along with the UMTS 850/1900 bands listed, makes me think you should be okay.

There are (2) Milestones...the "Euro" 900/2100, and the "Telus exclusive" 850/1900. The OP would want to get the "Telus" version for AT&T 3G. There are threads about it in the "Milestone" forum.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I didn't even know this place went beyond the Captivate forum until they moved this thread. LOL. I will definitely check out the Milestone forum.

Anyway, thanks for all the reply's but we went ahead and ordered an LG Expo for her from Amazon for $50. That will give me time to find her either a Milestone or a future Android qwerty.:)

Upvote 0

Why wouldn't you want to switch to VZW o.o

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones