1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Question about backups...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nolimit06, Jan 4, 2012.

1. nolimit06

nolimit06 Well-Known Member
    None

Hey guys, I am a flash nut and I am always wanting to try something new but I am tired of always starting over every time. I am currently setup on MIUI w/dta2sd and I need to know what the best method to backing up is so I can just go right back to my current state if I am not happy with whatever I flash instead of starting all over.

From my understanding I will lose all of my installed apps by doing a nandroid so I want to know what is the best method for backing up and restoring to make my life easier. Also I have the CoD tweaks on my phone, will restoring a backup lose these settings?

Thanks in advance for the help guys :)

Edit: Would I have to reflash my kernel, dta2sd, or vipermod?

Advertisement

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    You will not lose anything if you do a nandroid.

You do the nandroid before flashing your ROM. If you dont like that and want to go back you restore your nandroid and its as if you never even flashed the other ROM.

dustwun77 and nolimit06 like this.
  3. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    A nandroid does not cause you to loose anything a nandroid is a snapshot of the phone in the state it is in. Meaning that just how your phone is right this moment if you did a nandroid it would be of just how your phone is now

Not really a way not to redo some things but Titanium Backup can save apps and user data. This makes it nice to get back your games with all the settings the way you have them now (NEVER RESTORE SYSTEM DATA) There are other apps that can help save and restore sms/mms call logs contacts I personally like Super Backup it makes it quick and painless and I can restore pretty simple as well.

However there are some adjustments you will inevitably have to make Also yes you will have to reflash your kernel, a2sd(if not burned in the rom you choose) and vipermod.

4. nolimit06

None

Since all of my apps are on the sd-ext partition will I not lose the apps? What are the best things to check while doing the backup in recovery?

5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    Nandroid backups banks everything includingyour apps, data, rom and kernel.it is a complete snapshot of the current state of your phone.since you have you're card partitioned you should make sure to backup sd ext as well that way your apps on the card will be backed up as well.

6. nolimit06

None

Thanks for the help guys, one last question. Is it ok to rename the folder of the backup?

7. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    Others say yes, I will say absolutely not. But if you do make sure it's all one line using underscores instead of hyphens ____

JustSomeDude and nolimit06 like this.
  8. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Exactly as Andy says -- I always rename my backups, but only by adding something descriptive at the end with underscores and never with spaces. So for example one would be:
    "BDARS-20111219-2304_MIUI_1209_Tiamat410"

ocnbrze likes this.
Tags: