1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support question about battery

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Jhayzone, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Jhayzone

Jhayzone Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 21, 2015
    So I have a phone with a non-removable 4k mah battery and I already have it for 5 months now. When I first got it and after a couple of days of honeymoon I'm pretty sure that I'm cracking the 11 hour screen-on time. My question about is how does battery detoriates? I installed Gsam Battery a week ago and it logs my average screeon on time at 7hr and 43 mins but I have this habit of charging my phone when it reaches 40-35% of battery so if I fully dischargr my phone to 0 then I should still be able to reach 11hrs of SoT.

Isn't it suppose to be lesser now since I'd been using it for 5 months now or does battery only starts to detoriate when let say it reach x charge cycle and the battery will starts to get small like a meteor entering our atmosphere?

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You've only had it a few months and haven't been fully discharging it (which does degrade it faster). So I'm not surprised there has been no significant degradation.

I'm typing this on a 3 year old phone that got 5-6 hours screen on when new and gives about 4-4.5 hours now, to give you some perspective (a few weeks ago it was struggling to give 3 hours, but that was a software glitch - worth remembering if you see a significant drop that it may not be ageing that's responsible).

Jhayzone likes this.
  3. Jhayzone

Jhayzone Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 21, 2015
    So battery detoriates slowly? If used well and nothing happens on the phone hardware-wise then its pretty safe to say that the phone will last for at least 2 years while retaining a good SoT? I'm currently reading this article on batteryuniversity where it says that fully discharging a battery can give you a good 300-500cycle while using only 50% battery should give a hefty 1200-1500cycles. So I'm luckily using my phone rightby not fully discharging it.

Just made this thread since 5 months was also the time when my last phone's battery started to drain like crazy, like only a little more than 2 hours was the best that I can get compare to a good 4.5 SoT when it was new. Maybe it was a software glitch because it happened so suddenly and I might have given up on it too quickly. Yeah, I was just a little paranoid.

4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    The battery manufacturers recommend that we don't discharge the batteries below 40%

the reason for that is two fold.
    It is hard on the chemical structure
    It caused undue overheating because of the extended recharge times​

They also recommend that, if possible, keep them topped off and they will last 'forever'.

I have practiced that since I got my 1st smartphone. A Samsung Galaxy S when it first came out, eons ago.
    It still has the OEM battery, and it still provides very decent service.
    In the last 18 months, It was pushed into service again as an emergency backup when a phone was a) lost, and b) broken​

Jhayzone likes this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I had a Macbook battery last 7 years and could still hold a charge and run it OK, only got rid of it recently because it started bulging, but I still use the laptop without battery on mains power only.

Jhayzone likes this.
  6. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Well well well,
    got off this thread, bought some stuff at the grocery store, and look at my mailbox....

and what do I find?

http://www.gizmag.com/oppo-fast-charge-super-vooc/42019

Technology is not going to wait on anyone.

It might not feel like it, but lithium-ion battery tech is improving all the time, and Chinese electronics manufacturer Oppo is at Mobile World Congress showing off a new version of its ultra-fast charging technology. The company promises Super Vooc Flash Charge will get your battery level from 0 to 100 percent in just a quarter of an hour.