• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root question about busybox!!!

I have done this before(installing an ROM and rooting) except this is the first time I used the Gingerbreak APK I know I need busybox in the System/bin or system/xbin yet I cannot find the xbin and I do not see it in the bin, now I downloaded busybox from the market after rooting so is that sufficient to start my terminal emulator session and get into recovery?

When you used the Busybox installer it should have asked you were you wanted it. To make sure that it is installed correctly,download "Root Checker"from the market. It has an option to check if Busybox was installed correctly.
/system /xbin is below the /system/bin in the list of file folders on the system. It's there,really!

Upvote 0
OK, I've read the thread, need some more info:

-- You were able to backup apps with TitaniumBackup, and can now see the backup files on your sdcard?

-- When you open TitaniumBackup, do you get a popup saying something like: "Titanium Backup has been granted superuser permissions", or denied?

-- Is this a new phone, purchased new from a store within the past two months?

-- Which busybox by which author did you download from the market?

-- When you ran the installer, where did you tell it to install when prompted?

-- If you connect via adb shell and type su, do you get a $ sign or a # sign?

Let me know and I'll try to help you out.

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
Okay well its been a week on this backside thing, and now something has happened that's really pissed me off
my app drawer icon is gone...I can't find it, adw launcher says nothing about it, no one is answering me now so I'm done with it.
I like it but it is so sensitive if I stick the phone in my pocket who knows what I will do and by the time I realize it it's too late. So how do I get the
app drawer icon back and by the way when you press the menu button ADD is greyed out why? EDIT: AND NOW MY GOOGLE THING ACROSS THE TOP JUST DISAPPEARED

Upvote 0
Okay well its been a week on this backside thing, and now something has happened that's really pissed me off
my app drawer icon is gone...I can't find it, adw launcher says nothing about it, no one is answering me now so I'm done with it.
I like it but it is so sensitive if I stick the phone in my pocket who knows what I will do and by the time I realize it it's too late. So how do I get the
app drawer icon back and by the way when you press the menu button ADD is greyed out why?
It's not that were not answering you,your problem is kind of unique and takes time to research and find the solution that will not make you situation worse. Plus we all have lives to live outside this forum that require are time and energy(I got stuck working nights,and can't sleep in the day time,so I'm tired all the time and have no energy).
This is why I asked JerryScript to help out(hes the most knowledgeable member), but as you can imagine,he is a little busy and has a family to think about. Be patient,some things take time to sort out.
If your not happy with the BACKside ROM, Try something else,There are plenty of ROM's out there. One of them is bound to be just what your looking for. Go here [Reference Guide] Optimus V Modding (READ THIS TO GET STARTED) - Android Forums and here https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc/wiki/Binary
The gaps that are required for Gingerbread ROM's can be found here Latest Version/Google Apps - CyanogenMod Wiki
In the mean time I will continue to try to find a solution to your first problem, but you will need to finish giving ALL the information required in JerryScripts post.

As far as your second problem, try downloading a fresh ROM and gapps(You could have gotten a corrupted download,it happens sometimes)
1.wipe cache partition.
2.wipe dalvik cache(advanced section)
3.wipe data/factory reset.Now that your rooted YOU MUST NEVER USE THE FACTORY RESET IN THE PRIVACY MENU ON THE PHONE
4.format boot,system,data,and cache
5.go to install zip from sd card
6.go to select zip from sd card,chose the ROM first. It will go thru the install procedure. When done go back to step 6. and select the gapps.
When all this is done select reboot system now.

It will take 5-10min. for the initial reboot. You will be asked to sign in,skip this.

Now you can go to the market app and click on it and sign in to your google account(you must have your e-mail address and log in code).Reboot the phone twice then set up your apps. Once you get everything set up just the way you like it and all your apps are just where you want them,go back into your recovery and make a backup of that ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones