1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Question about Carriers for Nexus S

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lu the Ruler, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Lu the Ruler

Lu the Ruler Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    I'm new to the cell phone world so I really don't know a lot and depending on you guys' answers the Nexus S will be my first cell phone. Thanks in advance to whoever answers my questions.

Is it possible for the Sprint Nexus S to work with metro PCS?
    I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to buy the phone and use Metro PCS as my carrier instead of sprint.

Can I get an unlocked Nexus S 4G?

If I get an unlocked Nexus S (t-mobile version) can I use it with other Carriers other than t-mobile, sprint, at&t, and version? If so can you guys name some? I live in NY so name those that are available in the NY state/NYC area.

Thanks. :)

Advertisement

2. Lu the Ruler

Lu the Ruler Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    OK, I did a bit of research myself. The GSM Nexus S should work with other GSM carriers so what I need to know is if it is possible to get an unlocked CDMA Nexus S so that I can use it with Metro PCS. Which brings up another question, would Metro PCS allow me to use the Nexus S on their service?

3. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Male
    RN
    Phoenix
    All of the above are highly doubtful. If you want Sprint and a 4G Nexus S, get the Sprint version (the unlimited data is nice on Sprint, and 4G if you're in a 4G coverage area). If you want T-mo, get their version (3G only, and throttled data).

4. Lu the Ruler

Lu the Ruler Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    So If I get the unlocked T-mobile version I can't use it with other sim cards?

5. Aerie

Aerie Lurker
    None

Oct 4, 2010
    You can use the Nexus S on any other GSM carrier (SIM Card) provided you unlock the phone... which is quite easy to do on that phone. Granted you will only be able to get EDGE speeds on another GSM carrier. Also, you are better off signing a contract with t-mobile, getting the Nexus S and then paying the $200 ETF. It works out to be cheaper than buying the outright though used ones can be found for $350. You could get this and go with Simple Mobile and get service for about $60/mo with no contract.

The Nexus S 4G can be used on MetroPCS and Boost Mobile, but will require an ESN swap (not illegal if you own both phones no matter what people here might say. Though I'm not a lawyer.) and some advanced settings changed in the case of Boost, and PRL & WAP settings changed (if they add you to their database) at the very least for MetroPCS. Expect to pay about $100 for this to be done to your phone if you don't know how to do it yourself. The Nexus S 4G can be had for $50 on contract with Sprint, plus a $125 credit for porting your number, and then you pay about $70or$80/mo total with taxes/fees for a SERO account. (Look that up). Cancelling a Sprint account will incur a $200 ETF. To get the port in credit you need to stay with them for 3 months so it really isn't worth it unless you want to pay for a few months. Port your number out within the first 30 days and pay the $200 ETF and hope they don't try to charge you the difference for the phone. (It isn't in the contract, but they might try anyway.) Paying the first month then porting out would get around them trying to charge you for the phone.

As something you might not be aware of... AT&T will be getting the Nexus S in a few days. That one would only be able to get EDGE speeds on T-Mobile if you unlocked it. You would however be able to take that phone outside of the country and have it still work most likely. Not sure what the bands will be on it when it is released coming up here though. Also, AT&T has a $350 ETF so it really isn't worth it.

The CDMA phone that is pretty well supported across multiple carriers is the HTC Evo. I would look at that phone as those can be had on craigslist for a mere $200. Still requires you to pay $100 to get it flashed to Boost, but less of a hassle getting the phone.

I know how you feel though. I have a Nexus S 4G and I love it. Best phone I've ever had. The Sprint plan is just way too expensive. I am still within my 30 days so my option is to either return the phone and get about $65 back or pay the $200 ETF and get to keep the phone, but lose my $65 and a $25 deposit and still prolly have to pay the first month service. After all that I'm better off just getting the Triumph on Virgin Mobile and paying $25/mo. (I know it is $35 now, but you can find people to sell you their plan that has already been grandfathered in.)

If you have any more questions just let me know. I know this post has gotten really long, but hopefully this answers your concerns.

6. Joshua McLeod

Joshua McLeod Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    This is a reply to Aerie's comment..
    So you CAN have the Nexus S unlocked? I have it for sprint and i'm trying to use it for my Metro PCS service..
    How would I do that.?

7. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    Just take it to one of those local independent phone stores that flashes phones and have it flashed to Metro. I live in a Cricket area, but it usually costs $60 around here.

8. Aerie

Aerie Lurker
    None

Oct 4, 2010
    Yes, flashing to MetroPCS usually costs $70. You can try to search for a local store that will do it here: Unlock Cell Phone : Cell Phone Unlocking : Unlock Phone but I haven't had much luck finding ones near my location. You could always hit up eBay or Craigslist to find someone who does them for you.

Tags: