1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Question about clockworkmod

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Dragonlady, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Female
    California
    Can someone please explain what it is and what I'm supposed to do with it? Please keep in mind that I need a really simple explanation because 99% of the things I've read in these forums I haven't understood. Thanks bunches!

Advertisement

2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    Clockworkmod is a custom recovery for rooted devices. It replaces the stock recovery when flashed. It's used for backing up your device (nandroid) and flashing ROMs, kernels, themes, apps etc. This among quite a few other features. If you're looking to root your device, it's highly advisable to flash a custom recovery (doesn't have to be CWM, can be TWRP or others).

3. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Female
    California
    Thank you so much for the explanation. I do have one more question. I notice in a lot of threads the term flash/flashed like you used here. Could you please tell me what that means?

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Flashing just means updating system software (which is stored in NAND flash memory - hence also the nickname "nandroid" for the backup made by recovery).

Do note that custom recoveries have to be built for each phone/tablet model, so you should never flash a recovery meant for a different device.