• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question about data usage on Android phone

Ok so I am planning on getting the HTC Aria (AT&T) and i was gonna get the 200 mbs data plan, and i wanted to know if this is enough for what I want to do. I am not gonna check e-mail or go on facebook, i might go on twitter once a week. I am mainly going to download and use apps, and use the internet about 5 hours a month. 2nd question, does going on the android market and using apps use data? I have never owned an android, or even had a data plan before so i a noob at this.

Ok so I am planning on getting the HTC Aria (AT&T) and i was gonna get the 200 mbs data plan, and i wanted to know if this is enough for what I want to do. I am not gonna check e-mail or go on facebook, i might go on twitter once a week. I am mainly going to download and use apps, and use the internet about 5 hours a month. 2nd question, does going on the android market and using apps use data? I have never owned an android, or even had a data plan before so i a noob at this.

Your usage will depend on what apps. If you download Pandora expect to kill your data usage. If you just do light surfing and such you might be okay. Apps can range and vary from under a meg in size to more. Also it will depend on what websites you go to when you surf and if they are mobile or full sites. If the Aria gets flash and you use that to stream video content it will have an impact on your data usage.

One question to ask your carrier (Aria is AT&T I think) is if they will let you upgrade to a different data plan in the middle of a month if you get near your limit. Welcome to Android and if you hang around here you won't be a noob for long. :)

Reactions: Dr. Shady PhD
Upvote 0
with that usage you should be completely fine. the market uses data just like any other net source... you download a 3mb app it will use 3mbs of your data. If there is a huge app or download you want just do it over wifi to save on your data plan.

if you are really concerned about it there are several widgets on the market that will monitor your data usage, so you can know if your getting close to your limit.

Reactions: Dr. Shady PhD
Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for posting:) it really helped. BTW i am going with 200 mb

Heh, sorry Ambictus. But as I replied to your post in another thread:

Correction. If you have the "DataPlus 200 MB for Smartphone" plan, you are supplied 200 prepaid MB for each billing cycle for $15.00. However, if you go over 200 MB during your cycle, you are automatically given an extra 200 MB and charged $15.00 more at the end of your cycle. For every 200 MB over, you are again billed $15.00 more.

DataPlus 200 MB for Smartphone

Upvote 0
One question to ask your carrier (Aria is AT&T I think) is if they will let you upgrade to a different data plan in the middle of a month if you get near your limit. Welcome to Android and if you hang around here you won't be a noob for long. :)[/QUOTE
I believe they will let you upgrade the plan at anytime. However, you have to be careful. If you upgrade to 1GB 2 days before the end of your billing cycle, you will get 2/30 of 1GB. This has happened to me on more than one occasion with voice minutes and text messages. :mad:

Upvote 0
Dr. Shady asked this 2nd question but don't see an answer: Does going to Android Market use data? I've noticed that it does, even without downloading any apps, like a couple Megs worth. Is that because it's updating previously downloaded apps? Is there a way to avoid this data use just for "window shopping"? As I'm on a 150Mb plan, this is of interest to me.

Upvote 0
k thats a tad annoying they want me to introduce myself... wtf do i put? i am a droid user... um wow hmm hope this satisfies
hi i have the new droid and am wondering about the whole data usage thing its my first droid. i have read the above and i have a 2gig plan. is there any way i can set up an alarm so that i know when i am using a certain number of say megabites? also any tips on taking care of it so i don't end up with a $600 paper weight would be welcome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones