• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question about Engtools3.zip

greenmunky

Android Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2009
Okay, so last night I finally got the Android SDK installed properly and the command prompt communicating with my phone. Using the newer ([WORKING] ROOT for all Eris' - xda-developers) root method I pushed Engtools3.zip to my phone from the command prompt rather than any other custom ROM because I didn't want to completely wipe my phone, just get SU. However, after successfully pushing it, rebooting in recovery and choosing to flash Engtools3.zip and installing I don't notice anything different, there's no SU icon anywhere in the notification bar and when I re-tested my connection through the command prompt by typing "adb shell" I still got a "$" instead of "#." Am I doing something wrong because according to the XDA thread with the root instructions I should be able to flash engtools without having to wipe to get super user permissions. Please help.

Also... my reasoning behind installing Engtools3.zip rather than evileris or any other ROM right away is so that I could install Titanium and properly backup all my setting and such so as to not have to re-setup all that stuff after wiping and flashing. Would that even work or am I completely misunderstanding this process?

Good info. So maybe worth having both?

Yes but one has nothing to do with the other. A nand backup is a complete image of your current setup, so when you restore that image it will look exactly as it does right now. But it can not be used to just restore data and apps. This is where Titanium or MyBackup comes in, these apps can backup just certain data and apps to make switching ROMs easier and so that you won't lose things like SMS/MMS messages, call logs, bookmarks, and apps. Although you can just redownload your apps from the market but MyBackup and Titanium will also restore data you had in those apps. A good example is keeper, a password app that I use, when I restore my apps with MyBackup it is also restoring all the data from that app, so all of my passwords I had in there are restored.

Reactions: greenmunky and LED
Upvote 0
Do I have to purchase Titanium in order to make use of the data/settings restore functions? Would I have to re-download Titanium in order to restore after a ROM wipe and flash?

Titanium is free........... yes if the rom you flash doesnt already have it built in (I believe a couple do) then you will have to reinstall titanium but as long as you didnt wipe your SD the backups are still there.......

as far as the $ vs # question earlier........ when you adb shell and get the $ just type SU and it should switch to #

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones