1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Question about frequencies. I apologize if this has been asked before.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by gahook, Jul 14, 2013.

1. gahook

gahook Lurker

Hi and thanks for looking at this. I have a question about cellular frequencies and specifically Europe. We are looking for a cell phone we can bring over and use the 3G network there. What I have found is that Europe uses both the 900 and 2100 frequencies but looking into it deeper they use the 2100 frequency for uploads and downloads. I have found that a lot of phones use the 2100 frequency but not many use both the 900/2100 ones and choices are very limited for those. Before I spend my money on a phone, I just want to make sure I have a full understanding of how things work there.

I do apologize if this has been asked in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Hi gahook, and welcome to AF :)

You are correct that there are two frequency bands used for 3G in Europe. 2100 is the commonest - everywhere I can think of uses that. There are some networks in some countries which also use part of the 900 band for 3G - the main use of that band is still GSM (2G). In either case uplink and downlink are within the same band - there's no network that uses say 900 for uplink and 2100 for downlink, the way T-Mobile in the States splits uplink and downlink between bands.

So if you have 2100 MHz 3G you'll be fine. If you have 900 MHz 3G too then that's a bonus, but whether it will make a difference depends on where you are. You will also want GSM in 900+1800 bans for 2G coverage, but quad-band GSM is very common so that shouldn't be hard.

Do note that the fact that a handset has 900 MHz GSM does not mean that it can use the 900 MHz band for 3G, since those are separate systems.

gahook and mikedt like this.