• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question about GALAXO

Stephen289

Apr 15, 2010
Alright this may have been asked a few times, or maybe it could not of been asked. I just can't find the thread related to answering this question.
Okay so my question is, can I flash Galaxo 1.6.2 or GAOSP "without" ODIN flashing or updating my firmware to 1.6? and not then what consequences would occur if I don't flash firmware update before GALAXO 1.6.2 flash. My phone firmware version is I7500ZHJA1 and I believe that is the latest firmware for my region which is still Android 1.5. Cheers~

it is not absolutely neccesary to flash jc6, only part that stays is baseband which is working with any version of os...

Is it possible to update baseband without ODIN? I flashed Galaxo 1.6.2 using recovery (as described here: Flash rom Galaxo 1.6.2 and 1.6.1 - Windows tutorial - Samsung Galaxy ), and I guess that 1.6.3 will be similar.

How can I flash baseband only?

I still have XXII5 baseband. Is it known what features/fixes does the newer baseband have?

Upvote 0
but be aware that newer baseband versions feature different bugs... atm i am running on ik4 without problems, i flashed with odin 4.16. before i had issues with this one using odin 4.03... just do your own tests and use what works best for you with best battery usage...

can you elaborate on what you mean "before i had issues with this one using odin 4.03"

and "atm i am running on ik4 without problem"

Upvote 0
i did not want to go into detail, but i am using italy custom rom (1.5) and with basebands newer than ik4 i had problems with 3g and with jc versions i had no sleep bug what makes me assume no sleep has its origin in the baseband. however some people did tests with 1.6 and old basebands where some of them (at least one) say they have expirienced the bug also with old baseband. also it seemed to me that when i used odin 4.16 the problems did not occure on every flash, so maybe odin is the cause for that, but its all just my assumptions, i could be completely wrong also...

Upvote 0
i did not want to go into detail, but i am using italy custom rom (1.5) and with basebands newer than ik4 i had problems with 3g and with jc versions i had no sleep bug what makes me assume no sleep has its origin in the baseband. however some people did tests with 1.6 and old basebands where some of them (at least one) say they have expirienced the bug also with old baseband. also it seemed to me that when i used odin 4.16 the problems did not occure on every flash, so maybe odin is the cause for that, but its all just my assumptions, i could be completely wrong also...

odin cannot cause this. the tool cannot affect the phone firmware in this way.

I thought as much that you were running cupcake again as the nosleep in unavoidable in 1.6 regardless of baseband.
there are no sleep issues in cupcake aswell but the trigger is usually a wayward app that has got its nickers in a twist.
I certainly know that from g6 to ik4 there was nothing obvious if it did ever occur.
the version of odin is a redherring, the newer versions that come out are for support of the newer samsung models as its made by them (although 4.03 seems to be a re-hack by some russian)

basically baseband is not much to do with it in my honest opinion, radio stack can cause issues but i think its a mixture of things. add that to the complete randomness of the behaviour itself its easy to see how people get into making that assumption.

we are all making assuptions to be fair but i just cannot see how its anything to do with odin or baseband

Upvote 0
but i can easily reproduce this issue by flashing jc6 or jc4 baseband and changing nothing else on my phone, so can you tell me how this can not be related to basebands at least in some of the cases?

edit: also the bug was no reason for me to revert to 1.5, just wanted to test wifi tether and some other features not enabled in 1.6.2 due to missing kernel sources

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones