• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about Google Voice [not an invite request]

HSenior

Apr 5, 2010
So I got a GV number and am planning on using it for free texting.

However, if I tell people that I changed my number and tell them to call/text on my GV number, will it charge anything extra?

I understand that if the call is forwarded to my VZW number, I'll still be charged my monthly minutes, but nothing more, correct?

Also, I had my brother call the GV number and it prompted him to say his name and then forwarded the call to my VZW number, asking me to accept or decline. To me, this seems awfully similar to a collect call. I did change the settings though so that callers do not have to say their names and their calls go straight through.

Basically, I guess what I'm asking is would I be risking anything [money] by telling people to use my GV number for all calls/texts/etc? Or should I just give everyone two numbers, my VZW for calling and GV for texting?

By the way, free texting is awesome =D

I love GV. I have only had it for a couple days and am very pleased I get my voice mails in text format.

I am not sure about how it may or may not charge you for texting (I have unlimited texting so it doesn't matter to me). If I were you, I would just use my GV number for now on to give to everyone for calling and texting, because if you don't you know that you will get text messages via your cell phone number and not your GV number.

Upvote 0
Sorry I guess I forgot to clarify that texting is working fine. I had a friend text me via the GV number and the message went to the GV app, and no notification in in the stock Messages app. So yeah, I'm good with texting.

It's just the hassle of giving people two numbers and hoping they would use them correctly.

I just want to know that if someone dials my GV number for a phone call [not a text] that neither me nor the person dialing will be charged anything more than we would for calling the VZW number.

Upvote 0
Neither will be charged anything extra. You only lose the free Verizon to Verizon minutes when your friends are also calling on a Verizon phone.

+1 just lose out on mobile to mobile.
If you have a F&F plan you may be able to make up for that by recieving free incoming :cool:

Forcing people to say their name can be turned off in the GV settings, as well as havng to hit "1" to answer the call, its all up to you. you can do this by group, person, global or whatever. I would suggest hitting the GV help section it really is pretty good.

Upvote 0
Also, I had my brother call the GV number and it prompted him to say his name and then forwarded the call to my VZW number, asking me to accept or decline. To me, this seems awfully similar to a collect call. I did change the settings though so that callers do not have to say their names and their calls go straight through.

Correct. Actually, I find that setting useful for the way that I use it. I have it set up to screen callers only who block caller ID. Since one of the things that I do with GV is to forward my home phone to my Google Voice number when we are traveling, it basically keeps almost all of the telemarketers from hitting my phone. It would be fantastic, actually, if all telecoms offered this as a free service.

Upvote 0
GV is an answering service, or better yet a receptionist. You still use plan minutes. GV will ring any and all phones associated with the account. It also allows you to have a version of "Visual VoiceMail" for free and of course text for free. With the app is kinda turns your phone into a two line phone, you can use either number to make and receive calls.

Goolge has a very nice FAQ and help section on GV. They explain it very well.

Upvote 0
FWIW, none of my callers have to say their name and I don't have to press 1 to answer the calls.

If you go to Google.com/voice and sign in. Click on the settings link at the upper right and then click on calls you can change the settings on how calls work with google voice. I think the screening is for phones that don't offer the app or for home phones.

My call settings are:

Call Screening - Enabled, but Screen only callers with blocked caller ID
(keeps everyone from having to say their name)

Call Presentation - Off
(keeps you from having to hit 1 or 2)

Caller ID (in) - Display caller's number

Caller ID (out) - When I SMS a Google Voice number from one of my forwarding phones: Display my Google Voice number
Note: this setting currently only applies to SMS; calls will be included soon.

Do Not Disturb - off

Upvote 0
I only give my GV number any more - it rings home and cell. I haven't worried about minutes, but with my gv number added to f&f I don't think we are getting charged for them. I just wish there was someone at google voice you could call and talk to if you can't figure out how to do something.

Correct, if your GV number is on your friends and family then you don't get charged for those minutes. As for questions, that is why we have forums. ;)

Upvote 0
Another question...

I just dialed my GV number from my home phone [which is not linked] and it asked me to dial 1 and then dial the number. Is there anyway I can get around that? Yeah, it isn't a big deal but just wondering.

When I chose the GV number, I chose the same area code as I have with my VZW number.

Upvote 0
Another question...

I just dialed my GV number from my home phone [which is not linked] and it asked me to dial 1 and then dial the number. Is there anyway I can get around that? Yeah, it isn't a big deal but just wondering.

When I chose the GV number, I chose the same area code as I have with my VZW number.

Where I live, this is standard operating procedure with the plain old telephone landline service. It only allows a non-1 entry for numbers in our town and two neighboring towns, so I just dial 1 first for everything.

Upvote 0
Sorry to kind of jump in on the thread, but I have a question on GV. If I am able to get a GV invite, people would be able to call my VZW or my GV number, and both would ring on my cell phone? And then the people who have the VZW number would send texts that would charge against my text package, while the ones to my GV number wouldn't charge me for anything?

So, in theory, if I had the GV app on my phone, I could basically be running 2 phone lines on my cell, and give the numbers out to people as I see fit (friends GV and business contacts VZW for example)?

Upvote 0
Ardd instead of a new thread I thought I'd ask here again...

I send long ass effing texts. It sucks when I'm in landscape typing up a text, only to hit the 'enter' button and instead of sending the text, it just skips down to the next line. Then I have to go back and edit my text to make my message the right size.

Is there any option in the settings where instead of me having to edit the text, GV just breaks the text up into 2 separate text messages??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones