1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Question about Google Voice

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by BestInGalaxy, Dec 20, 2011.

1. BestInGalaxy

BestInGalaxy Member

I'm currently on a data plan with no texting plan, so every text WILL cost me. But I heard that Google Voice offers free texting and free calls? If this is true, is it just normal text messages, or does that include picture messaging, video messaging AND text messaging? What about the free calls? How does that work?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert

It's only normal. No video messaging or picture messaging. Also, you should turn off text forwarding (which is on by default); otherwise, you'll be charged for text messaging.

No free phone calls, though. Not with the way Google Voice normally works.

BestInGalaxy likes this.
  3. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

You can get free calling if you use GrooveIP
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gvoip
    (check Amazon Market. It's usually cheaper there).
    It'll make calls over 3G/Wifi and will use your Google Voice number for the calls.

Call quality isn't nearly as good as making a normal cell call, but it does work and domestic calls coming in through GrooveIP (inbound and outbound) will not use carrier minutes.

BestInGalaxy likes this.
  4. BestInGalaxy

BestInGalaxy Member

Well, I have a problem setting up a google-voice account. After it tells me to create a 4 digit PIN, it goes on to load then it says that the number can't be verified. Anyone know a solution to this? I've already tried twice.

5. darkestred

darkestred Android Enthusiast

You already have a google email address, right? Can you elaborate on what you're saying? I don't ever recall having to create a pin for GV.

BestInGalaxy likes this.
  6. BestInGalaxy

BestInGalaxy Member

It was the 4 digit PIN for Voicemail, but I already got it to work hours ago. Thanks everyone who helped.

7. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

HeyWire (free download and free to use) supports SMS and MMS, and works well.

BestInGalaxy likes this.